Text messages just vanish

Guest marisa4755

Guest marisa4755

Now I know it's probably me being stupid and not getting a setting right, but I receive text messages OK and opt to save them, but when I go to my text messages inbox, they are not there, and neither are the ones I have sent.

I have ticked keep copies of sent items in sent folder

and have selected empty deleted items manually

The messages are there, but do not survive a soft reset, as I am installing all my software at the moment, this is happening frequently.

What on earth am I doing wrong?

can anyone please help?

thanks

Edited by marisa4755

Guest marisa4755

I tried to make a new folder within inbox called keep, and put a message in there, to see if that would stick, but on the next reset, all the messages AND the new folder had vanished!

Guest jimbouk

If it is email that disappears, then I would expect to find that the device was set up to send/receive every so often and the settings between keeping mails on the device and server were incorrect.

But with texts, I think jfran must be right as I believe the way WM5 devices work with texts is a hybrid solution where the texts are received by the phone application and passed to Pocket outlook for display/storage. Hard reset time.

Guest marisa4755

OK, I've just finished installing all my software!

If I back everything up, hard reset and then re-install the backup, will I be re-installing the problem?

Has anyone else on T-mob with a vario II had this problem?

thanks

Guest mattie01

had this happen to on my m3100, but i was doing alot of swapping abotu with sims and batterys, so i wasn't sure if i borked somethign along the way,

i'll try and replicate it now

Guest jimbouk

Did you notice the problem starting when you installed a particular app?

A hard reste will of course require you to completely re-setup your device, but as there aren't loads of people posting that they have this problem, it shouldn't be a basic rom problem so a hard reset should remove it - but when you re-install everything it may come back!

Guest marisa4755

I don't know when it started really.

The first thing that happened was when I first switched the phone on I got a text saying:

From pers

Network message please delete

I got three of these altogether while my sim was 'activating'

Now, I try to delete them, and they seem deleted, but reappear on a soft reset!

I'm totally flummoxed, I've never seen anything like this with text messages.

Totally amazing machine though, unbelievably fast

Guest marisa4755

Appear to have solved this.

Turns out, that if I soft reset using stylus = all texts vanish

Soft reset using task manager (wisbar lite) = texts stay

whew!

Now to get the wifi working...

Guest cedmondson

I'm getting this problem with email. I've setup a Googlemail account for use solely with the Vario. I don't sync any mail with the PC. On the first connect it downloaded about 30 messages but then lost about half of them. I realised yesterday that as emails came in the message count stayed around 14. The Vario continued to keep the old messages but new ones disappear. Even without any resets or switching the phone off, they disappear after a short time. I deleted some of the initial batch to see if it was anything to do with the number of messages in the inbox. However, new emails continue to disappear.

Guest boyo69

got exactly the same thing

just received a Vodafone v1605 and noticed it was deleting all texts on a soft reset

so i hard reset, loaded nothing at all and it still deletes the text messages !

changed rom to HTC version (i have another device running that rom) and even that still deletes them on the v1605 !!

could it be hardware related? i am running serial number HT626 on the Voda...............

cannot understand it at all..............

Guest marisa4755
got exactly the same thing

just received a Vodafone v1605 and noticed it was deleting all texts on a soft reset

so i hard reset, loaded nothing at all and it still deletes the text messages !

changed rom to HTC version (i have another device running that rom) and even that still deletes them on the v1605 !!

could it be hardware related? i am running serial number HT626 on the Voda...............

cannot understand it at all..............

Did you try my remedy of not soft resetting via the stylus in the reset hole, but using a task manager to do it like Wisbar lite or similar? This sorted it out for me.

Guest boyo69
Did you try my remedy of not soft resetting via the stylus in the reset hole, but using a task manager to do it like Wisbar lite or similar? This sorted it out for me.

yes, thanks for the tip, it worked fine...........however, i tend to soft reset when a device locks up and that might mean that wisbar lite will not allow me to soft reset via the screen............

i think it has something to do with the sim cards......... i have a tmobile for personal use and a vodafone for work use........ yesterday, i had the vodafone in my htc tytn and the tmobile was in a standard phone..... i took delivery of the vodafone v1605 version of the hermes and proceeded to set it up with the sim card that i had removed from the tytn. everything went fine until the afternoon when i soft reset the v1605 and noticed the text messages (inc voice notification) simply disappeared.

i wondered if it was something to do with the time and date stamp of the text messages cocking up the inbox display, or whether the vodafone sim was still 'tied' somehow to the tytn on the network, whether the messages were on the sim card and inbox cant read them etc etc

there was a couple of messages on the tytn, inc one voicemail notification that hadnt been read or called in so i wondered also if that was tying the sim to that device and cocking up the texts??

i have put the tmobile sim into the tytn, hard reset and i have exactly the same problem with that device now...........even immediately after a hard reset with absolutely no software additions..........so it is not a 3rd party software issue....

am now hard resetting both devices and starting all over again, but i'm not holding out much hope!!!

the text messages arent that important to me really..........but its annoying that they disappear after each soft reset

Guest marisa4755

I agree, it would be really annoying if text messages arrive eg overnight, which you hadn't read, and then first thing, you find your machine locked up, have to soft reset via stylus, and lose the lot! Also, some people have voicemail texts, so they would lose those too.

I am still waiting for my one time pin so that I can get on my Tmobile, but I think when I do I will report this fault to tmob. I think it's some kind of rom fault. In the meantime, I wish there were some kind of workaround.

Anybody got any ideas?