M600 wifi

Guest surfheli

Guest surfheli

Would someone mind giving me a brief overview of how to correctly setup my M600 to laptop wifi connection.

I have managed to connect various ways at various times with various amount of luck! I have a wifi card inserted in the PCMIA slot running Marvel drivers, these seem to insist on being in control every time i re-boot.

Currently there is no router of internet connection, I just want to be able to browse the videos and music using my M600 (via TCPMP)

Guest jimbouk

You need to set up an AD HOC connection between them. Make sure that the pc's wifi settings allow for AD HOC connections with other pc's and that the wifi settings on the M600 are set to connect to Both Ad HOC and Infrastructure access points.

Don't know the wifi drivers you refer to, but most have a "Use Windows Wireless Zero Config" which releases the wireless card's control to the built in windows wireless app. If set correctly the laptop will not load up the card manufacturers control app on reboot.

And you will need a network-capable file explorer app on the M600 to easily see shared drives and folders on the laptop - something like VM Netbrowser.

Edited by jimbouk

Guest surfheli

cheers for that, but where should I start,

define a network on the pc first?

then let m600 see this and connect? or define a network in both devices? then connect

Guest jimbouk

I've never done ADHOC before, but logic would suggest laptop first then turn on wifi on device and it will hopefully see it and ask if you want to connect.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

By design, Ad Hoc has to be defined on both devices :D

You can set it up on one and search for it on the other, you'll still have to input all the details though (except for SSID as it'll already be there).

If you set the same Ad Hoc details: SSID, WEP key on both, they'll connect when in range.