Dead Pixel

Guest bowlby_87

Guest bowlby_87

Just noticed a dead pixel on my C550 and wondered if there is anyway to get rid at all?

Here is a pic.

deadpixel.jpg

as you can see its the annoying green dot which is most prominant when the screen shows dark colours :D

Guest fluffcat1
Just noticed a dead pixel on my C550 and wondered if there is anyway to get rid at all?

Here is a pic.

deadpixel.jpg

as you can see its the annoying green dot which is most prominant when the screen shows dark colours :D

Diss-assemble the phone and 'massage' the screen, carressing the pixel gently...mmmm ( ooops there goes the adult content filter! Sorry!)

Or if the warranty seal is still unbroken check the seriel at http://service.htceurope.com/ and book it in for a warranty repair. You don' need no stinkin' proof of purchase.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ingvarr

Wrong.

When transistor in TFT screen is not working, pixel becomes always lit.

Because transistors mask (act like shutter) for the light, and screen is always lit by default.

Thats why to test for dead pixels on TFT, you must look for black (but switched on) screen.

And I doubt you will be able to get rid of it. Dead pixels mostly caused by microelectronic defects, you cant fix it.

You can only get rid of such screen, but this can be hard, because screen manufacturers insist that some degree of bad pixels is acceptable (otherwise screens will cost a lot more due to lot more of screens needed to be discarded).

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Swampie
Diss-assemble the phone and 'massage' the screen, carressing the pixel gently...mmmm ( ooops there goes the adult content filter! Sorry!)

Or if the warranty seal is still unbroken check the seriel at http://service.htceurope.com/ and book it in for a warranty repair. You don' need no stinkin' proof of purchase.

Richard

Massaging on TFT's isn't a guaranteed way of fixing them (in fact, I believe it's very rare for that to work).

As for dead pixels being warranty repairs - very unlikely for him to be successful.

Taken from the HTC Typhoon service manual, the only failures for the display (no idea of the res of your phone, but this is for the Typhoon one):

Defective dot > 0.25mm

More than 6 defective dot > 0.15mm

More than 3 bright pixels

More than 4 dark pixels

More than 4 bright or dark pixels

More than 2 bright pixels connected together

More than 3 dark pixels connected together

More than 2 dark and brigh pixels connected together

Distance between 2 bright pixels less than 6mm

Distance between 2 dark pixels less than 6mm

Based on these limits defined in the Typhoon service manual, they wouldn't regard a single duff pixel as being a problem and would return it to you without repair. If the resolution of the display is higher than the Typhoon, then the limits may be even stricter, as with higher resolutions, comes greater chance of individual failures.

Incidentally, my SPV C500 has a similar stuck pixel and nothing could be done about it.

Guest fluffcat1
Massaging on TFT's isn't a guaranteed way of fixing them (in fact, I believe it's very rare for that to work).

As for dead pixels being warranty repairs - very unlikely for him to be successful.

I must just be lucky I guess, having used the 'massage' technique on a couple of SPV's and a PSP out of warranty and having a c600 (which has the same screen as a c550) with a dead pixel repaired under warranty by HTCEurope....hence my suggesting it :D

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1