wpa tkip only option?

Guest darrellr

Guest Dr Who

BUMP.

Anyone know whether this is an issue. Will found out Tuesday since my work network is WPA AES, but given the problems I am having on my home network forewarned is forearmed.

Guest darrellr
BUMP.

Anyone know whether this is an issue. Will found out Tuesday since my work network is WPA AES, but given the problems I am having on my home network forewarned is forearmed.

TKIP only I'm afraid - not a limitation of Vario II - a limitation of the wireless driver in WM5 :D

Guest rickwookie

I mentioned this a few days ago

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=244536&hl=

but had no response.

So this is a driver issue? Then MS should fix it.

Does anyone know if the AES en/decryption in done purely in software or does the wireless chip(set) accelerate or fully handle the process?

I know the Hermes has a 400 MHz CPU but I wouldn't want to think it had to be used for this task. Apparently though AES is the fastest secure WiFi method in terms of network speed as it has lowest overheads.

Guest rickwookie
It'll be software, but in the OS (as it's a driver issue).

Surely if it's a driver then it's provided by HTC (or whoever manufactures the 'IEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wi-Fi' device) isn't it? And if so they could release a patch that supported AES.

Or is this actually an OS issue, similar to WiFi support on XP prior to SP2 where there was no WPA support at all unless you used a third-party/device manufacturer wireless configuration utility?

Surely though the drivers are not hard-coded into the OS?

Edited by rickwookie