T-Mobile Compressing Web Data?

Guest Snoopstah

Guest Snoopstah

Hey guys,

I seem to be experiencing some kind of compression taking place on downloads via T-Mobile. If I attempt to download a 120kb JPEG file via my WiFi connection, that's what it downloads - a 120kb JPEG file. If I attempt to download the same file via T-Mobile GPRS or 3G, I get a resized and compressed JPEG file that's only 30kb in size.

I can understand why they'd want to do it, but it's very annoying - is there any way to disable it?

(Mods: Please move to a more appropriate section if there is one...)

Guest sleepyhead

I get exactly the same thing with Orange GPRS too (using the orangeinternet APN). It is not handset specific either since it is the same with all recent handsets I've used.

What is particularly annoying about this is that whatever compression they are using actually breaks some images - particularly those which either have a transparent or white background which ends up being grey.

So far I've found no way of turning this off either. You would have though particularly Orange would be keen to maximise data revenue so I'm not sure why they do it.

It would seem even though you don't specifiy a proxy all your traffic probably goes through a transient proxy which is compressing the images.

Guest gingerprince

Presumably then you can disable this by specifying a public proxy. A similar trick is used by a lot of NTL broadband customers. Basically NTL have a transarent proxy that often dies so you can't browse - explicitly setting a proxy through IE bypasses the transparent proxy, and in this case presumably will bypass the compression.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Its quite a nice option imho, saves you on data costs. It is annoying if you're trying to use your handset as a modem though!

Guest gingerprince
Its quite a nice option imho, saves you on data costs. It is annoying if you're trying to use your handset as a modem though!

Data costs? You're on the wrong network, mate :D

/tmobile

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

True, traditionally it does though, and provides better performance on non-3G handsets (yes, they do still exist!)

Ah well, roll on a Hermes on TMob...

/broke

:D

• 2 weeks later...

As for T-Mobile in the Netherlands; yes they compress jpg and gif etc files as well. However, you can enable and disable the compression as you prefer by surfing to a specific website using your handheld and there just switch the setting.