WiFi and GPRS on Hermes (TyTn)

Guest patmolloy

Guest patmolloy

All,

With both WiFi and GPRS switched *on* (and both working) on the phone, how do I STOP the phone using GPRS for the Push E-mail (and costing money), when the WiFi is perfectly acceptable (quicker and free!).

In the manual for the TyTn it seem to imply that the Push will always use GPRS over WiFi when both are enabled -- this seems bonkers to me !

If I have GPRS switched *off* on the other hand, it seems that Push will not work automatically over WiFi - I have to do a send/receive.

Am I being thick, or have I missed the point somewhere ?

Thanks !

Pat

Guest Dr Who
All,

With both WiFi and GPRS switched *on* (and both working) on the phone, how do I STOP the phone using GPRS for the Push E-mail (and costing money), when the WiFi is perfectly acceptable (quicker and free!).

In the manual for the TyTn it seem to imply that the Push will always use GPRS over WiFi when both are enabled -- this seems bonkers to me !

If I have GPRS switched *off* on the other hand, it seems that Push will not work automatically over WiFi - I have to do a send/receive.

Am I being thick, or have I missed the point somewhere ?

Thanks !

Pat

My understanding is that push will ALWAYS use 3G/GPRS and NEVER wifi.

Guest patmolloy
My understanding is that push will ALWAYS use 3G/GPRS and NEVER wifi.

Sigh. I think you are probably right, sadly. To my mind, this is crazy, however ... perhaps in some future version there will be control over this ??

Sigh. I think you are probably right, sadly. To my mind, this is crazy, however ... perhaps in some future version there will be control over this ??

I think this is one of those things that have been purposely crippled in the OS to stop networks going mental (and out of business).