Help with Outlook Email syncronising

Hi

Im new to this forum although ive been a lurker for a few months

I got my Vario II a couple of days ago and ive been trying to set it up. Im new to the whole world of Pocket PC stuff so bear with me

Basically i have had outlook 2003 set up on my PC for a couple of years it checks my yahoo email account via POP3 and SMTP

it is the only email account i have and i wanted to syncronise this account with my windows mobile device.

When i set up activesync for the first time it asked me about syncronising email i said yes and contacts and notes etc.

Contacts have been sent over successfully and now when i open my pocket outlook there is folders

Hotmail

Text Messages

MMS messages

Outlook Email

but no where can i figure out how to set up the setting for the sending and recieving of emails for this account

the manuals say go to messaging then tools options and then tap and hold on the account you want to modify and change the settings

this is all very fine in theory but when i go tools options there are only three accounts listed these are

Text Messages

MMS Messages

... New account (which brings up a wizard to set up another account)

there is no outlook email or anywhere i can set up the SMTP and POP3 servers or settings to check email every 10 mins etc

ive tried the new account method and put in all my details for my yahoo email account but this just makes a new one called Yahoo after outlook email and text messages etc.

on the new yahoo one everything works well i can send and recieve emails but its a different inbox to the outlook email account when i want just the one

Pls help

Im stumped and a complete newbie if possible post screenshots of what ive got to do pls as often what the manual says i should be able to do and what options are available to me dont agree (or it could be just me doing the wrong thing)

JEREMY MACMULL

Guest spacerace

Hi Jeremy

The account "Outlook EMail" is the account that is synchronised with Outlook. However you cannot check your Yahoo email account _directly_ unless you create a new dedicated account on your Pocket PC.

For this you will need to run through the New Account wizard and plug in the details for Yahoo POP/SMTP (the ones you have configured on your desktop Outlook) and you can then send/receive directly with Yahoo..

Of course, this can lead to your Outlook and your Pocket PC becoming out of sync. E.g. if you read and delete a message on your PPC that message will not appear in Outlook desktop (or the synchronised copy on your PPC). They are two seperate accounts.

Hope this makes sense, if not feel free to ask more questions !

Thanks for the advice

so basically what i want to is not really possible ill have to create a new account on my ppc with my yahoo details and when i recieve an to my ppc yahoo account should i move it to the outlook email inbox so that it is syncronised with my PCs outlook or should i leave them as two separate accounts.

also if i send an email from my yahoo account (the new one ive just set up on my ppc) and then move that email to the sent folder of the outlook email account will that also be syncronised on my pc so i can see what ive sent etc

thanks very very much for the help

JEREMY

Guest spacerace

I'm not sure if you can move messages across accounts on the PPC like that. If you can then yes that would work.

There used to be some software that would synchronise Outlook with Yahoo (as opposed to doing a S/R) which would kind of help with the situation you have.

do you know which software that is if not dony worry. no I've just realised that you can't move emails across accounts at all oh well.

this is being posted from the vario btw its so nice thanks for all the help.

Jeremy

Guest AndrewH13
The account "Outlook EMail" is the account that is synchronised with Outlook. However you cannot check your Yahoo email account _directly_ unless you create a new dedicated account on your Pocket PC.

Hope this makes sense, if not feel free to ask more questions !

Another new pda owner confused by Outlook Synchronisation.

After numereous problems installing Outlook 2002 (bring back O Express) and its desire to use a WINWORD thats not in its correct directory, I used Avtice Sync, which placed correct folders on Vario II but only allows it to download from PC, delete those not wanted or read from PC, then sync when back home. Is this all it is supposed to do or should it have brought in provider settings?

To Send and Receive on PDA I had to set up separate account (1&1 provider settings) which is fine but cannot setup anything for Pocket OUTLOOK to send and receive. So we have an INBOX and OUTBOX for Outlook that cannot be used (other than with already downloaded mail from PC) and a completely separate lot of folders beside it that do work. When home, one gets all the duplicates into Outlook as in 1&1 folder brought in during day on PDA.

I now have many duplicate accounts on PDA (while trying to get servers into OUTLOOK settings but kept setting up as separate sets of folders!). Anyway without doing a CLEAR STORAGE (already done once) that I can delete accounts like it is so easy in Outlook Express?

Any help appreciated.

Guest jimbouk

1) Activesync with PC can only sync mail with your laptop - it does not provide a mail portal to your POP/IMAP accounts. So your device is behaving normally. You shouldnt get duplicates if you use the pop account the retrieve new mail during the day (and do another send receive after deleting any items - but close your laptops mail client when you are out and about - or it will retrieve mail and you wont see it on the device.

To use activeysnc's full capabilities, you would need an exchange server account.

2) To delete unwanted accounts, simply click and hold on the accounts in question, in messaging, menu, tools, options. After clicking and holding for two seconds, a submenu appears with a DELETE option.

Guest spacerace
So we have an INBOX and OUTBOX for Outlook that cannot be used (other than with already downloaded mail from PC) and a completely separate lot of folders beside it that do work.

Well you can, if you get a hosted Exchange Account and sync remotely using that ! It's not ideal I admit since it's something extra you have to set-up, and costs money, but it's a very good option in terms of functionality.

1&1 offer it, as does 4smartphone.net who I personally use.

Guest AndrewH13
1) Activesync with PC can only sync mail with your laptop - it does not provide a mail portal to your POP/IMAP accounts. So your device is behaving normally. You shouldnt get duplicates if you use the pop account the retrieve new mail during the day (and do another send receive after deleting any items - but close your laptops mail client when you are out and about - or it will retrieve mail and you wont see it on the device.

To use activeysnc's full capabilities, you would need an exchange server account.

2) To delete unwanted accounts, simply click and hold on the accounts in question, in messaging, menu, tools, options. After clicking and holding for two seconds, a submenu appears with a DELETE option.

1) Not using laptop, just Vario II during day for quick look at emails. So it is correct that no new emails can come into the OUTLOOK folders during the day using Vario II PDA (only when synching at home)?

2) Great - so easy now! So used to Right clicking and options. Is there any good book or site with these little things to learn settings? Like i've posted in another place, how do I keep backlight on over 10 second default after hard power off, cant believe it doesnt hold Backlight settings each time I set it to 2 mins.

sorry for hijacking post. But do you guys find that when you log onto check for new mail old items are lost?

This is really beginning to annoy me.

Do you have any suggestions.

thanks

Guest spacerace
So it is correct that no new emails can come into the OUTLOOK folders during the day using Vario II PDA (only when synching at home)?

Not without using an Exchange Account and Active Sync'ing remotely, no.