Vario 2, PIE page opening speed now DNS fixed

Guest trjg

So I changed the DNS based on Paul's tip and that sped up the 'locating' process to almost instantaneous. However the 'opening' process in PIE is often chronic, 30 second+ wait before it loads. I have HSDPA enabled and get speeds of 1.2mbs but waiting 30 seconds for a page load makes this somewhat worthless. Anyone else on T-Mobile in London having the same problem? Any ideas?

Cheers.

Guest Prosody
So I changed the DNS based on Paul's tip and that sped up the 'locating' process to almost instantaneous. However the 'opening' process in PIE is often chronic, 30 second+ wait before it loads. I have HSDPA enabled and get speeds of 1.2mbs but waiting 30 seconds for a page load makes this somewhat worthless. Anyone else on T-Mobile in London having the same problem? Any ideas?

Cheers.

Although I don't live in London my dad has been having some problems with HSDPA on his Vario 2.

When i was looking at it to work it out like you I changed the DNS and that made the findign go quicker but we also had LONG connecting times if it connected at all.

Anyway one thing I noticed that may or may not be applicable to you is that the HSDPA signal was at around 2 bars and if left connected for a while you could pick it up and it'd go really quick, the speedtests say 1.1Mbps and it all looks good for about 10 minutes until it goes slow again.

Anyway what seemed to also be happening is that the phone could not make up its mind wether to use GPRS or HSDPA so I'm guessing the signal isn't great or the ROM version isn't handling things very well.

For now we've found a setting in the network options to force the Vario 2 to always use GPRS and it's fast and responsive and reliable thus far. The HSPDA speeds would have been nice, for what my dad uses it for tho it's more than enough, I'm just hoping the HSDPA is sorted out by Feb when it comes time for me to upgrade from my MiniS. :D

Guest Dr Who

I'm in London and after the DNS tweak it seems to be working pretty reliably. However I haven't tried it out and about, i.e. in lower signal areas or for a particularly extended period of time.