Vario II - Design Flaw

Guest finisterre

Guest finisterre

Well all know you either love or hate the Vario II colour scheme!

Well mine arrived today, and whilst I can live with different (from the M3100) front bottom button layout, the burgundy keyboard surround, the pinkish keyboard backlight, the strange texture of the back panel, the way it's 3 different colours when viewed from the side....

There's one thing that is a major mistake though - the black rubberish, grooved joypad on the front. This is going to fill up with dust and dirst so easily, it's gonna look like hell after a few weeks. I've just had to sit here and pick a bit of grit out of one of the grooves already.

There's been some very strange work done with the design of this Vario II. It certainly wasn't designed by Jonathan Ive (of Apple fame). More like a committee, a schizophrenic, or somebody with attention deficit disorder.

Edited by finisterre

There's quite a lot of space around the keys on the M3100 as well. I got mine today and I'm slightly worried about a few aspects of it. That ^ was one, another being the fact that when my phone vibrates the two moving parts jarr together and it sounds like a bloody elevtric drill...! :D

Guest richard_d

The minor niggles I have is lack of a cover for the card slot (oh and a blank slot for storing a spare card would have been a nice touch), and lack of any lens cover - something similar to the macro slider on the opposite side would have done. Still minor niggles only.

Guest noodles-21

I've had the vario 2 for almost a week and love it to bits! especially the wifi, 3g and HSDPA. I still have a few negs about this device though...

1. the keyboard light doesn't luminate all of the keypad efficiantly enough, making it difficult to see certain characters.

2. would have been nice to see a 3.5mm or 2.5mm headphone jack instead of having to use the small usb type socket which is used for charging and data transfer.

3. the quallity of images from the 2mp camera are really bad especially when compared to the 2mp camera on my w800i which is now over a year old.

As for 2, can a set of headphones with the small usb type connector be bought from somewhere? or is there an adaptor available (small usb to 3.5mm jack) to enable a standard set of headphones to be used?

Edited by noodles-21

Guest richard_d
I've had the vario 2 for almost a week and love it to bits! especially the wifi, 3g and HSDPA. I still have a few negs about this device though...

1. the keyboard light doesn't luminate all of the keypad efficiantly enough, making it difficult to see certain characters.

2. would have been nice to see a 3.5" or 2.5" headphone jack instead of having to use the small usb type socket which is used for charging and data transfer.

3. the quallity of images from the 2mp camera are really bad especially when compared to the 2mp camera on my w800i which is now over a year old.

As for 2, can a set of headphones with the small usb type connector be bought from somewhere? or is there an adaptor available (small usb to 3.5" jack) to enable a standard set of headphones to be used?

I haven't tried them but theres adaptors available on ebay shipped from Hong Kong.

2. would have been nice to see a 3.5" or 2.5" headphone jack instead of having to use the small usb type socket which is used for charging and data transfer.

As for 2, can a set of headphones with the small usb type connector be bought from somewhere? or is there an adaptor available (small usb to 3.5" jack) to enable a standard set of headphones to be used?

1. Don't agree (M3100) - although I can concur that because some of the 'windows' of the characters are by there very nature small, this does contribute somewhat to your point.

2. You're not alone. I suspect this is a space issue.

3. Haven't tried yet, the camera app is a bloody monster! :D

We're still waiting for a headphone adapter. As for the phones that come with the unit, what the frick is up with that black box?!?

Headphone adaptor buyers would be wise to wait until something appears on this forum that says it's available, in which case, it will be HTC Hermes/TyTN specific, and not otherwise. Don't buy anything yet, cos otherwise we'd already have it! :D

Edit: Disclaimer - correct at time of writing, obviously! :D

Edited by NikLP