What Sat Nav for Hermes!?

Guest Iggy82

Guest Iggy82

I've just ordered my new HTC Hermes in the form of the T-Mobile MDA Vario II and wondered what Satellite Navigation software is available for it and wether or not I will need the optional bluetooth/wired GPS recievers that companies such as tomtom talk about.

I'm sure I read on the forum somewhere that someone had got Tomtom working but I cant find that post anymore!

Much info needed!, Thanks peeps!

Guest billybear
Yeah I was curious about the fact that most of the packages on Ebay seem to come on SD cards or mini SD not the micro. Is it just a case of copying everything from whichever card it comes loaded on onto your own micro SD card?

Yes normally - out of box

But - I previously had a genuine version of TomTom navigato 5 installed on my MDA Compact. I copied the contents from my working SD card to my new Vario II micro SD card & inserted it into Vario II. It ran the Autorun.exe from the card but only came up with a TomTom logo screen before dumping out!

Fix this by downloading update 5.21 file from TomTom website, runing this from PC (with activ-sync loaded) and re-activating software on Vario II using original product code (on plastic card).

Now working sweet!

Guest Iggy82

Decisions decisions....

I cant decide wether to go with CoPilot 6, Tomtom 5.21 or wait until late september which is when the new Tomtom 6 is due for release!!

Anybody here a firm lover in any of these, if so why!?? Help me decide peeps.... please!!!

Guest jimbouk
Decisions decisions....

I cant decide wether to go with CoPilot 6, Tomtom 5.21 or wait until late september which is when the new Tomtom 6 is due for release!!

Anybody here a firm lover in any of these, if so why!?? Help me decide peeps.... please!!!

IMHO Copilot live 6 is the best current product, and I am not saying that just because I have it. I don't think the current tomtom is as complete but I guess TomTom 6 looks like it will be as good.

The SD/MiniSD card issue is purely down to the fact that the manufacturers bundle these with the package as they are used to customers using ppc's with sd and/or minisd sockets. The Hermes is one of the first ppc's with a microsd socket (Microsd has been a "dumber" phone memory option for a while but only just started arriving in ppc's) and the satnav manufacturers face a decision as to whether to offer different optional packages for the different cards. I think they will go to microsd with sd adapters next.

Its not a problem as its actually easy to copy the required files onto your own microsd - and I prefer to have music, pics, mail attachments and satnav on one card (than have to cart another card around and swap them each time I want to use the satnav). Copilot with UK maps uses approx 120mb - leaving tons of space on a 1 or 2 gb card.

IMHO Copilot live 6 is the best current product, and I am not saying that just because I have it. I don't think the current tomtom is as complete but I guess TomTom 6 looks like it will be as good.

The SD/MiniSD card issue is purely down to the fact that the manufacturers bundle these with the package as they are used to customers using ppc's with sd and/or minisd sockets. The Hermes is one of the first ppc's with a microsd socket (Microsd has been a "dumber" phone memory option for a while but only just started arriving in ppc's) and the satnav manufacturers face a decision as to whether to offer different optional packages for the different cards. I think they will go to microsd with sd adapters next.

Its not a problem as its actually easy to copy the required files onto your own microsd - and I prefer to have music, pics, mail attachments and satnav on one card (than have to cart another card around and swap them each time I want to use the satnav). Copilot with UK maps uses approx 120mb - leaving tons of space on a 1 or 2 gb card.

Personally have always been a fan of TomTom software but not their licencing policy- it can only be installed on 2 devices - so change your moby a third time and software can only be installed by purchasing another licence. However still running V5.21 ;-) very successfully on my new HTC tytn. Had the usual hassle pairing the bluetooth GPS but a bit of experimenting with the ports soon fixed that. Just awaiting an active car kit that has a 12v DC out to power GPS unit. gpsforless.co.uk say it will be ready shortly.