Help in Deciding New Phone...

Guest gmatharu12

Guest gmatharu12

Hey, I'm new the forum, but have been looking around for a while now. I've been really interested in the HTC TyTN since when it was first announced and came accross this site, when the Review of the Orange SPV M31000 was showed up, which by the way is a great read.

Since its release however, there are several issues i'd like to address.

I own a Nokia 7610 at the moment, I have kept my text messages ever since I've had it, simply because I like to keep a log of everything i do, same goes for To-Do notes and Sent messages.

It might not be possible to transfer these over, but anyway, I hear the HTC TyTN doesn't store messages in the messaging application unless the device is restarted using a 3rd party application OR turned off by the power button. Is this correct ?? Any Workaround ?? Is This a Global Windows Mobile Issue ??

I use a Smartphone at the moment, could anyone recommend reasons why a Windows Mobile Smartphone might be better than a Pocket PC Phone ???

I currently use my Nokia 7610 for the following

-> I love the ability to install and customise the smartphone

-> Run Emulators, I use a Gameboy, Genesis and Super Nintendo Emulator

-> Easy to work with Text Messages.

But would also like to see in my next phone...

-> Wi-Fi, So i can access the internet (RSS, Music or the web) from around the house

-> At Least 2 Megapixel (even if it wasn't a good 2 megapixel)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

G.

Guest jimbouk

Texts are not lost when you turn the device off (the only issue is recently deleted texts come back if you reset)

If you are a phone user, the jump to ppc is quite steep. I would consider a wm5 smartphone like the c700.

Customisation wise you cannot beat the wm OS for the options to completely change your devices look.

Wifi on the 3100 is very good - fast and robust - as is the 3G.

Guest gmatharu12
Texts are not lost when you turn the device off (the only issue is recently deleted texts come back if you reset)

If you are a phone user, the jump to ppc is quite steep. I would consider a wm5 smartphone like the c700.

Customisation wise you cannot beat the wm OS for the options to completely change your devices look.

Wifi on the 3100 is very good - fast and robust - as is the 3G.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I really am looking foward to having the Vario II (HTC TyTN).

Soo, the today screen, you can really customise how you like, the forum here is very helpful in finding what I need, thanks!

As for that time when u just feel like quickly playing a small game, I hope the issue with the Vario II and when you press a Key, it continues presing right for example, gets fixed soon.

Does the Vario II, playback video well as you'd expect from 400Mhz in a PDA ?

EDIT: Had a quick look at the C700, its that new HTC one aswell init, it seems pretty good, its a shame it is missing Wi-Fi though.

Edited by gmatharu12

Guest jimbouk

I haven't found a fault with mine yet. One or two issues maybe but they all have workarounds. The customisation options are second to none and I am always amazed when I see people with these devices still using the networks homescreen.

Video seems very stable - I stream tv shows from my media centre to the device and whilst the lipsync isn't always perfect, its very watchable.

Guest gmatharu12
I haven't found a fault with mine yet. One or two issues maybe but they all have workarounds. The customisation options are second to none and I am always amazed when I see people with these devices still using the networks homescreen.

Video seems very stable - I stream tv shows from my media centre to the device and whilst the lipsync isn't always perfect, its very watchable.

Thanks very much for your help.

IF i ever get the device, I hope any problems i come accross will have workarounds, especially by then. Now to go discuss with my mum about getting me a new phone lol.

Thanks again!