Strange wifi behaviour

Guest magic_alex

Guest magic_alex

I tend to use wi-fi quite a lot but find that on my Vario2 although I have no problems connecting to a wireless network the phone doesn't hold a constant connection to allow continuous web browsing.

After establishing a connection and using Explorer for a short period of time the Vario drops the connection and starts scanning for networks again.

I can't work out why it does this or how to stop it but if you wait for this to happen and go to the Network Cards menu in Comm Manager you can see the Vario is in turn trying to connect to all the unavailable networks before returning to the original connection.

Now I'd originally put this down to poor signal but whilst watching all this scanning in Comm Manager my wifi has a constant three bars of signal.

Anybody know how I stop this happening as its driving me nuts!

I'm not really sure about this, but I've had some issues too. I wasn't sure if it was the signal or what. I don't trust a device of this size to be fast enough to power an accurate signal monitor well, so I'm a bit doubtful about whether to believe the "bars" or not...

Guest magic_alex

One thing i also forgot to mention is that the sliding power setting doesnt seem to alter the problem - regardless of whether its set to better bettery or better performance this auto scan still occurs. Also another reason for me doubting that the signal itself is weak is that the problem occurs even if im sat in the same room as my wifi router - very strange!

There is a setting that's turn off if inactive after two minutes make that's not ticked

not had these problems u describe with my netgear router based in the lounge even though I mainly use wifi in the study.

what router have you got wep or wpa psk? etc etc?

Jeremy

Guest jimbouk

Typical reasons for this sort of behaviour is:

1) either the device going to sleep/standby and dropping the connection

2) the device going out of range of the router/losing its IP address

3) interference from other equipment (bt/dect phones/microwave etc)

Do you have another wifi device, such as a laptop?