I got HSDPA added to my account

Guest TheVoiceofJericho

Guest Confucious
Thanks - it's there.

Now i need to figure out why i am still getting the same speed of 250kb.

Could it just be that you're not in an HSDPA enabled area?

Guest richard_d
Oh ok - though I am in Central London, UK.

Is there a map of areas where HSDPA is enabled?

I think it's pretty much anywhere there's 3G, but HSDPA only enables a higher connection if there's enough bandwidth present - sometimes I get 8-900kps other times 300kps.

Richard

Spent about 20 mins getting HSDPA put on a pre-Oct WnW today. The CS lady just didn't know how to do it, but after checking with a colleague she got there in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Whitster
Check on your "my T-mobile" and it should show HSDPA 384k uplink (if i remember correctly)

It should be under the added features section.

Where abouts is the added features section on the my t-mobile page? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Scrap that, found it.

Had to upgrade to

Edited by Whitster

Guest nrj1999

After about 7 attempts to get HSDPA added to my account, I finally got it done whilst talking to T-Mob tech support about a dead Blackberry. We were waiting for the Blackberry to reset itself and I just mentioned in passing that my Vario II was not reaching the connection speeds I was expecting from the new HSDPA-enabled 3G network. The guy checked my postcode and said that there was no reason why that should be. He then checked my account and realised that HSDPA was not enabled and just switched it on without the merest quibble. He said it was free of charge and there is no reason not to have it enabled.

I couldn't believe how it easy it was in the end and it just goes to show that you speak to someone with a little technical know-how and their finger on the account-enabling button and things get done. My faith is restored in T-Mob customer services but I wish I had a direct line to technical support rather than having to wade through the scripted call centre rubbish beforehand.

Just ran a speed test at dslreports.com/mspeed and getting a fairly regular 887Kbps with only two bars of reception. Happy now.

Guest MikeWard1701

Hi folks, thanks for all this info on the HSDPA lark.

I'll have to give it a go when I upgrade next week, I'll be buying in store and trying to blag them into giving me the online discounts (

Hello Mike,

I said words to the same effect:

"I joined (or in your case "upgraded and stayed with") T-mobile because they were the first to provide HSDPA and it is this that I need" etc.

To check if you have HSDPA - you log into My T-mobile > View Account info (beneath payment due) > Mobile phone summary > View or modify additional allowances and services (at the bottom) > It should read: HSDPA 384k Uplink

Guest stemill

As others have mentioned the best way to get HSDPA added to your account is to talk to someone from tech support. After trying a couple of times with customer services and being told it would cost extra, I asked to talk to someone about the T-Mobile DNS servers. This confused them enough to put me through to tech support :( who happily added HSDPA :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Guest citizen1

Maybe i'm being simple, but my t-mobile still shows gprs, 3g but i'm getting connection speeds of 1.4 mbits with one bar of reception!

P.s to get hsdpa enabled the easy way ring 150, then the button for faults, and when you get through to a human, ask to speak with the tech dept. wh will add it without a problem (thnx adam!)

Guest Confucious
P.s to get hsdpa enabled the easy way ring 150, then the button for faults, and when you get through to a human, ask to speak with the tech dept. wh will add it without a problem (thnx adam!)

Having spoken to 2 diff people in Tech who refused to add it to my brothers account he tried himself before giving up and going for the ols W'n'W Pro - not everyone in Tech will add it.

Guest AndrewH13
The 3G symbol should change to a U when I commpatible areas.

Is this correct? Mine stays on 3G, gets 1.2 speed, and shows 384 Uplink on website.

btw, why is it called uplink, when in fact it is download speed that increases?

Andrew

Guest Confucious

Some ROMS show U (for UMTS) and others show 3G - they are interchangeable and I am unsure that a phone showing 3G would change to U when it has HSDPA reception. Icould be wrong but....

Guest jchamier
Maybe i'm being simple, but my t-mobile still shows gprs, 3g but i'm getting connection speeds of 1.4 mbits with one bar of reception!

1.4mbps!! How did you test the speed? dslreports.com is showing me 890kbps at best, and I practically live next door to a T-mob base station, full signal on 3G.

Guest richard_d
Ive had 1.4 at this site. Change site test to OTHER/3G

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

I'm a bit dubious of the reliability of that test (well I got over 100kps on GPRS <_< ). www.dslreports.com/mspeed seems to give more realistic results in my limited experience. Speed fluctuates a lot any way - sometimes I get 300 with HDASP sometimes 900+

Lovely Scottish accent CS took 1 minute then came back with the painfull line....

"Sorry but HSDPA can only be added to WnW Professional! the system wont let me add it to your account""

Ahhhhhhh!! So following the advice above immediately tried the Tech Support route - with something about DNS servers when they asked why!

This worked a treat and he added it instantly, (although yet to test as not currently in 3G area)

He was called Ben if that helps anyone!

Guest jchamier
Ive had 1.4 at this site. Change site test to OTHER/3G

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Cheers, its still hosted in the US, and therefore a lot slower, or less predictable, than a UK based test.

Its possible that any T-mobile proxy is caching the test, and making the speed seem faster, as its not an internet speed test, but a T-mobile proxy to your handset test.

James

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'd like to think the test is setting the appropriate no cache tags, or even better (and more likely) varying the content each time to avoid being cached.

P