HERM100 vs HERM200 vs HERM300 - my verdict...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
herm100200300.png

I now have my MDA Vario II, and i've been using it all weeked, which means i've now used the HERM100 (SPV M3100), HERM200 (HTC TyTN) and HERM300 (MDA Vario II) variants in anger... and am ready to give my verdict on which is best.

And the winner is...

THE HERM300 (and in particular the T-Mobile MDA Vario II)!

'Why?' I hear you ask... here's why it's my top choice amongst the Hermes masses:

- Good button layout, start and OK buttons much easier to use than on the SPV M3100
- Almost as pretty as the SPV M3100, definitely prettier than the TyTN
- The best directional pad usability of the lot. SPV M3100 is almost as good, TyTN's isn't very nice to use
- Texture on directional pad is actually quite nice
- Grey colouring is nice to look at, and importantly shows dirt / marks less than SPV M3100
- Red keypad / side flash is actually quite nice
- Textured back (in the same style as the directional pad) shows marks much less than on the SPV M3100. TyTN is textured too, less so however.

Here's the only downside...

- No video call answer button

Thought you might like to know :D

P

Guest randomelements

Nice summary Paul.

Must admit I prefer the whole look of my Vario and it is SO much nicer than most of the photos would suggest.

I have no need for video calling so the loss of that button doesn't bother me :D

Guest richard_d
herm100200300.png

I now have my MDA Vario II, and i've been using it all weeked, which means i've now used the HERM100 (SPV M3100), HERM200 (HTC TyTN) and HERM300 (MDA Vario II) variants in anger... and am ready to give my verdict on which is best.

And the winner is...

THE HERM300 (and in particular the T-Mobile MDA Vario II)!...

P

Can we expect a comparison with the Trion soon? :D

At least if I ever have to claim on my house insurance, the Tytn isn't too ugly (well I assume T-Mobile are unlikely to sell me a replacement Vario II).

having used the Tytn and the vario 2 i agree the vario 2 is a hell of a lot more usable.

the textured back makes it much easier to hold and the red backlight is actually quite nice. dont actually know ANYONE with a 3g phone to make video calls to so no loss there forget about the fact that i might or might not actually want to ring them via 3g but anyway

JEREMY

Guest nevawlkalone

You got any shots of the Vario Two with the keyboard out?

It loks better in real life (photo) than the web shots so i was hoping the keyboard looks as good!

Guest nickcornaglia

How many of you Hermes users have used video calling this far? How often?

That's alot of weight sitting in one spot. That poor TYTN at the bottom is getting crushed! :D

Can anyone comment on the thickness of the Vario II compared to the Vario ?

Having looked at various different website, it seems no-one can agree how thick these are !!

... am a bit concerned that the Vario II is 4mm thicker than the Vario (which I've used) which sounds like a lot.

Thanks

Adge

Guest sporkguy

I have to say, after playing with my brother's M3100 and the V2 at work, I much prefer the V2 - I'm a sucker for stylish things (take for example the Macbook Pro I'm sitting on at the moment) and the V2 just does it for me in every way :D

Great comparison Paul.

Guest TriAxis

I like the Hermes 100 the best, but since I have big thumbs, I am concerned that accessing the middle buttons might be too tight. So I think the Hermes 300 model will be the way to go. I do have one concern though. Since the MDA Vario II doesn't have a Video Conference button does that mean you can't launch this program another way (like the start menu). I see it has a front video cam. Even though Video Conferencing isn't available in the USA (not yet) I would like to have the option to use it possibly in the future.

Guest john.-h
You still have a Video call button in the phone app on the MDA Vario II, same as the other versions of the Hermes.

i agree i thought the m3100 looked the best but having seen both i went for the vario 2, i think it is the dogs, the video call button can be used when dialing manually and when i receive a video call a window pops on the screen saying video call answer/reject?

Guest nevawlkalone

It loks better in real life (photo) than the web shots so i was hoping the keyboard looks as good!

Paul?

Guest Andy Maclean

Got a few pics from my Vario II with the keyboard out.

IMG_0001t.jpg IMG_0015t.jpg

Probably won't be taking anymore as I made the mistake of giving it to my girlfriend to hold for 5 minutes after which she promptly dropped it on a concrete floor, has some rather nice scratches on it now :D

Its an awesome machine tho, upgraded from an m500.

Andy

Guest nevawlkalone
Got a few pics from my Vario II with the keyboard out.

IMG_0001t.jpg IMG_0015t.jpg

Probably won't be taking anymore as I made the mistake of giving it to my girlfriend to hold for 5 minutes after which she promptly dropped it on a concrete floor, has some rather nice scratches on it now :D

Its an awesome machine tho, upgraded from an m500.

Andy

Cheers pal

Any chance of them being lighter and further away?

Sorry to hear about your misses dropping it!

Guest Lord Kordir

Well, after researching for what feels like weeks, I finally caved in and ordered a Vario 2 on a WnW tariff. This thread just made me click the buy button :D I'm hoping this will be a worthy replacement to my little c500 and by the looks of things I won't be dissapointed

Edited by Lord Kordir