How could a mobile phone operator detect instant messaging use?

Guest 888

Guest richard_d
I don't use this MSN often but would like to use it now and then but I think it is prohibited on my price plan.

How would TM detect such use?

Don't quote me on this but I'm not sure they easily can.

Guest awarner (MVP)

You are connecting to GPRS which they record how much data you use.

I use messenger and not had a problem with Tmobile, not sure about these unlimited deals though.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
You are connecting to GPRS which they record how much data you use.

I use messenger and not had a problem with Tmobile, not sure about these unlimited deals though.

Orange data say the only thing they know is how much I use.

Nothing else.

Obviously if I download 10 gig, they may inspect me, but meh... just use it!

Guest Samsonite
I don't use this MSN often but would like to use it now and then but I think it is prohibited on my price plan.

How would TM detect such use?

its not that its impossible to detect the type of information being sent over the network, more that the volume of packets whizzing around make it a pig of a job to sniff out certain types, and then act on it!

I'm no expert, but i have used applications like Ethereal to see different types of IP packet present in a fixed wired network for diagnostic purposes and it is possible to determine certain types of traffic.

It is much easier to see things like TCP sessions being setup and i think it will be quite easy for a mobile network to clamp down on streaming and VoIP connections as they will be visible for longer periods.

if it were me, i'd use MSN till told i shouldnt and then carry on till they actually stopped it! But then i'm a rebel, me! :D

If you actually read t-mob's terms and conditions, they say that if they detect instant message usage, they will terminate the contract...

think about it, they just subbed my phone to the tune of

Guest awarner (MVP)

A terminated contract may well mean you would have to return the phone as you would be the one in breach of the contract.

Be interesting if you could keep the device, I'll have to use MSN more to see what happens as I would like a Herm for my collection :D

Guest MARKUKCOUK
A terminated contract may well mean you would have to return the phone as you would be the one in breach of the contract.

Be interesting if you could keep the device, I'll have to use MSN more to see what happens as I would like a Herm for my collection :D

I think the point is, even if you give the phone back, they lose out because its no longer new, and because you are no longer a customer

If you actually read t-mob's terms and conditions, they say that if they detect instant message usage, they will terminate the contract...

think about it, they just subbed my phone to the tune of

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Pretty ignorant about such things but what port do IM applications use? Be pretty easy to view activity over a port used only for IM.

We all know its easy in terms of technology, but getting someone to actually look at your usage is the sticking point for these firms

Hi,

I am certainly no expert on this at all....

But doesn't IM software use specific TCP/IP port numbers (like web pages use Port 80 or something)?

As you can probably tell, I am no expert.....

Mark

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Hi,

I am certainly no expert on this at all....

But doesn't IM software use specific TCP/IP port numbers (like web pages use Port 80 or something)?

As you can probably tell, I am no expert.....

Mark

As I've just said, its easy to do technology wise, but they dont have the resources to check it!

Guest Ingvarr

More likely scenario is.

They block IM protocol, or give its traffic very low priority. Most likely by port/server IP.

And you won't be able to complain that it works bad, because that way you will admit that you are breaching the service agreement.

We all know its easy in terms of technology, but getting someone to actually look at your usage is the sticking point for these firms

Yeah, but if it uses a particular port it is VERY easy to do. Just set your log to record all activity over that specific port and there you go, a list of customers using IM. I've never looked into it and I would guess you can specify which port you want to use. Also, if its on a standard internet TCP/IP port then its no problem since, as you say, monitoring that activity would be almost pointless.

welyes they can scan ports however that is against the law and invasion of privacy and would defeat the purpose of using MSN for example (if we are referring to tmobile web'n'walk package) to track if users are using msn even though it uses a few kb (as normal) for data transfer

Edited by Tech

Guest Ingvarr

They do not need to "scan port"

Every IP packet that goes over operator network have port numbers and addresses inside, all they need to do is to compare these to well-known ports and addresses of IM servers & protocols.

This is not port scanning. This is simple traffic filtering/prioritization, and its not illegal under any law.

Also, as I said, its very likely that they will not block it, but just give IM traffic is very low priority - so it would work, but not always well.

Edited by Ingvarr

Thought I'd give a try. Attempted to log in but was infomred that the MSn service was currently unavailable.

Whether it is a config problem or whether the prot was blocked, I don;t know.

Guest Confucious
Thought I'd give a try. Attempted to log in but was infomred that the MSn service was currently unavailable.

This happens with MSN.

I have a distinct feeling that T don't even monitor how much data people are using, let alone what type! If someone was using vast amounts they'd pick up on it but otherwise I'd doubt it very much.

The IM thing when it was first mentioned someone said it was MoIP - an up and coming technology which isn't used yet, not normal IM. I believe some of T's CS have mis-interpreted this.

Isn't it only mentioned in the W'n'W Pro terms anyway?

I use it occasionaly and apart from the connection issues, have not had a problem and the connection issues were there on O as well and I believe are at the MS end.

Just my 2d's worth :D

Guest glbsolutions

I've been using Agile Messenger on Yahoo, Google Talk and MSN for a few weeks now without a problem. I'm on T-mobile WnW

Guest Metal_Mickey

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I asked the T-Mobile shop about the clause when I bought my Vario II (Flext 35 + WnW Pro) and they said without hesitation or reservation that instant messaging is allowed. They said that the clause was just there to cover things like VOIP.

I know that VOIP is mentioned separately in the clause but I guess they are just trying to cover future applications which they may not know about or have foreseen at the moment.

I've been using Agile Messenger on Yahoo, Google Talk and MSN for a few weeks now without a problem. I'm on T-mobile WnW

How are you using Google Talk? I login to gmail but I don't think PIE supports the gmail chat service, or the other way round?

Guest Confucious
How are you using Google Talk? I login to gmail but I don't think PIE supports the gmail chat service, or the other way round?

Agile supports google doesn't it?

Guest glbsolutions

Sorry when i said Google talk, I meant i'm using agile messenger on google, on msn, and on yahoo. So just using the one app to talk to people via different im services