New Smartphone

Guest roscoe141

Guest roscoe141

I've had the SPV C500 Smartphone from Orange for a couple of years now. It's the first Smartphone I've had and I couldn't and won't be returning to any standard mobile.

My C500 has been hanging/freezing a lot of late, any new software I install on it doesn't work and the battery is all but done so I've been looking for a new Smartphone for a number of months. That natural progression would have been the C550 (which is cute) or the C600 but the camera is crap on the C550 and the C600 is just damn ugly.

My requirements with a mobile are:

Smartphone (with the newest of windows technology)

Quality Camera (preferably above 2 mp)

Small and slim in size (to fit in jeans pocket)

Attractive (like my current c500 or the samsung z400 in terms of looks)

Has to look like a mobile and not a hand held like the SPV M600..yeuk!

These are the only things I really require in a smartphone. The only phone that comes close to meeting these requirements is the Nokia N80 with it's 3 megapixel camera. But it's way too thick in depth to carry around in the pocket, I'm looking for thin like my C500.

When is there going to be an attractive, slim smartphone, with a good camera!!?? or have I missed one in my searches??

Edited by roscoe141

Guest slimgym

Colleague has just got a Nokia N73 which seemed fairly compact and has a good camera. It's Symbian (though it was pretty nippy menu-wise) which would put me off it, having found my way to WM from Symbian I wouldn't go back. It's also a new release of Symbian so not all the older software works on it. I also found a lot less software compared to WM. Maybe worth looking at though if the camera is important.

I have an SP5m after starting with a C500 and it's pretty good although apart from the screen size, wifi and WM5 (which does seem to crash a lot less) it's much the same device. I do like it though :D The pictures are fair but not as good as you'd expect from a decent 1.3MP camera. I was torn between the SP5 and SP5m. The SP5 has bigger keys but they are all on one level with little physical separation from each other, whereas the SP5m has a nicer design but less key space because of the media buttons. The number keys do have a dimple on them though and I didn't find it as awkward to use as I expected to.

I have to say like you, the C500 takes a lot of beating, especially so given its age. The SP5m has to be the best phone I've ever owned, it took that mantra from the C500.

Guest Pondrew
Isn't the SP5M the same as the C550? I doidn't really like the 550 - prefered my 500 bt now I have the Modaco 600 I'd thoroughly recomend that.

I guess the only difference is the C550 is on mobile 2003 whereas the SP5/5m are on WM5 and have wifi.

They're very different devices. The SPV C550 (HTC Hurricane):

Windows Mobile 2003 SE Smartphone

TI OMAP 750 Processor

No EDGE

No wifi

Meanwhile the SP5m (HTC Tornado):

Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone

TI OMAP 850 Processor

EDGE

Wifi

There's no contest, the SP5m wins hands down, understandible as the SPV C550 is now an outdated handset while the SP5m is a fairly recent Smartphone...

Me? I'd recommend the SP5 unless you need the media buttons of the SP5m... (I use the XDA IQ which is the same device branded by O2)

Guest slimgym

D'oh! :D Still looks cute though. Found a bigger picture here and the icon that looks like a wifi indicator is the line "1" indicator ...

Edited by slimgym

Guest roscoe141

Thanks for all your replies guys. The phones listed above:

"Nokia N73" - Attractive candybar phone. Great 3+ mp camera, very appealing. Symbian OS, No thanks.

"SP5" - Unattractive, 1.3 camera, no thanks

"SP5m" - Very attractive, 1.3 camera, no thanks

"C100" - Very attractive, once again 1.3 poor camera, not thanks

"C700" (which I found) - Fairly attractive, once again 1.3 poor camera, not thanks

I mainly like candybar phones but I'm prone to like the sliders and I just found the "gigabyte g smart" on one of your links above. And it has a 2.1 mega pixel camera!!! Even is it has slightly negative comments in this link:

http://nedge2k.com/reviews/gigabyte-g-smart-12062006/

I might go for this one. Can anyone tell me what the hell G3 and wifi mean though and do I need them?

Edited by roscoe141

Guest Laser_iCE

Well, if you don't know what they are, then we can assume that you won't need them :D 3G is a network protocol (?) which carriers use... In otherwords, its like broadband for your phone -- you can download stuff to your phone much faster than you can in comparison to GPRS. WiFi means being able to connect to Wireless LAN's, however if you don't have a Wireless Access Point/Router at home or at your workplace, chances are you don't need WiFi.

Guest roscoe141
Well, if you don't know what they are, then we can assume that you won't need them :D 3G is a network protocol (?) which carriers use... In otherwords, its like broadband for your phone -- you can download stuff to your phone much faster than you can in comparison to GPRS. WiFi means being able to connect to Wireless LAN's, however if you don't have a Wireless Access Point/Router at home or at your workplace, chances are you don't need WiFi.

ooooo I like the idea of quicker downloads. Waiting on a single webpage on C500 takes forever...and it's crap to view....

Wireless Routers!! I have them everywhere...work, at home, at the missus's house, parents, sisters, the lot. I need to check if that little slider has them both. Cheers matey.

Guest Confucious

PPCs have bigger screens and so are better for browsing the Web.

Check out the Hermes (m3100, vario II etc) which has HSDPA - an even faster version of 3G ,on T'Mob with W'n'W is great if you wantto browse the web, it has WiFi and a 2Mp camera but might be a bit large for what you want.

Guest princepavs
Thanks for all your replies guys. The phones listed above:

"Nokia N73" - Attractive candybar phone. Great 3+ mp camera, very appealing. Symbian OS, No thanks.

"SP5" - Unattractive, 1.3 camera, no thanks

"SP5m" - Very attractive, 1.3 camera, no thanks

"C100" - Very attractive, once again 1.3 poor camera, not thanks

"C700" (which I found) - Fairly attractive, once again 1.3 poor camera, not thanks

I mainly like candybar phones but I'm prone to like the sliders and I just found the "gigabyte g smart" on one of your links above. And it has a 2.1 mega pixel camera!!! Even is it has slightly negative comments in this link:

http://nedge2k.com/reviews/gigabyte-g-smart-12062006/

I might go for this one. Can anyone tell me what the hell G3 and wifi mean though and do I need them?

now thts wht i think i'm going for next ... well would be eager jst to get ma hands on this Gigabyte G-Smart... can any1 tell me whr to get it...? i mean which country is it available.. for now..?

Guest roscoe141

I've checked the dimentions of this and it seems it's bigger than the N80. Although it's a really pretty phone it's just too bulky. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer after all.

Maybe 2008 before someone releases a slim, candbar or slider smartphone that's attractive with a better than average mp camera. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest roscoe141
I've checked the dimentions of this and it seems it's bigger than the N80. Although it's a really pretty phone it's just too bulky. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer after all.

Maybe 2008 before someone releases a slim, candbar or slider smartphone that's attractive with a better than average mp camera. :rolleyes:

Anything new sexy slim smartphones yet with a good camera?

Guest roscoe141
How about the i-mate SPL?

P

Yeah it's nice, the worry is that it's a bit slow. I'll wait for your full review before deciding though.

Further to the requirements I posted

Smartphone (with the newest of windows technology)

Quality Camera (preferably above 2 mp)

Small and slim in size (to fit in jeans pocket)  Candybar or slider.

Attractive (like my current c500 or the samsung z400 in terms of looks)

Has to look like a mobile and not a hand held like the SPV M600..yeuk!

Does any smartphone have radio capablitlies?