Poor Wifi Range

Guest RichardK

Guest RichardK

Hi,

Just got my m3100 from orange retail (upgrade from m5000 / nokia 6310i combo!).

I am concerned about wifi range. I seem to be able to connect ok, but unless i am standing vrtually touching the access point, the signal strength seems to be no higher than 1 bar. In the same location's i have 5 bars on the m5000.

I am wondering if it is a bug with the signal strength meter, or something wrong with the unit.

BTW, because i dont get a 14 day return on instore upgrades, do i have to use my orange care (and a 15 quid fee to exchange it or do i go back to the orange store)

Apart from this superb unit

Any ideas

Richard

have you tried adjusting the battery saving option to maximum performance

on the battery saving option i can connect fine to wifi all round the house (though i mainly do it in the bedroom and the wifi point is in the lounge)

ive learnt to ignore what the strength meter says as often it says 1-2 bars yet wifi works perfectly.

my advice if you can connect to wifi where you want to and it works well ignore the signal meter bars as i think they are kookey.

JEREMY

Guest RichardK
have you tried adjusting the battery saving option to maximum performance

Yes the battery performance bars are on max

on the battery saving option i can connect fine to wifi all round the house (though i mainly do it in the bedroom and the wifi point is in the lounge)

ive learnt to ignore what the strength meter says as often it says 1-2 bars yet wifi works perfectly.

my advice if you can connect to wifi where you want to and it works well ignore the signal meter bars as i think they are kookey.

JEREMY

Wifi works all over the house but the house has full coverage with wifi (multiple ap), so i think that it is just a dodgy signal meter. I might install wififofum on the device and then look at the values that is showing to see just how strong a signal it is recieving. Had similar problem with the m2000 when it was launched - signal bars were wrong.

Just wanted to see if anybody else has some problem before i waste my time trying to return a working device

Thanks for your reply

Richard

Edited by RichardK

Guest Pandemonium
Wifi works all over the house but the house has full coverage with wifi (multiple ap), so i think that it is just a dodgy signal meter. I might install wififofum on the device and then look at the values that is showing to see just how strong a signal it is recieving. Had similar problem with the m2000 when it was launched - signal bars were wrong.

Just wanted to see if anybody else has some problem before i waste my time trying to return a working device

Thanks for your reply

Richard

I certainly don't haven any problems with WiFi on my Vario II. In my house I can browse anywhere and I've tried at a couple of friends' houses too, each time with WEP or WPA security.

My M3100 seems to have weaker lock on the wifi signal at home than the M600 (Prophet) I used for around 2 weeks.

The prophet had no problem getting a wifi signal anywhere around the house, whereas the M3100 will loose the signal in some areas. It'll then fluctuate between a very week signal and no signal if I move it around in front of me.

I'm running the 'Power Save Mode' on 'Best Performance'.

Anybody else noticed this, or have I got a duff one?

Ta.

Guest ashtemple
My M3100 seems to have weaker lock on the wifi signal at home than the M600 (Prophet) I used for around 2 weeks.

The prophet had no problem getting a wifi signal anywhere around the house, whereas the M3100 will loose the signal in some areas. It'll then fluctuate between a very week signal and no signal if I move it around in front of me.

I'm running the 'Power Save Mode' on 'Best Performance'.

Anybody else noticed this, or have I got a duff one?

Ta.

I am exactly the same. unless im next to the router, i cant connect, or it connects for a few seconds then disconnects. even at best performance. My old m2000 could connect anywhere around the house...

it has real problems assigning an ip address, so i force it using one outside the range and the basic dns number (192.168.1.1 / 0.1). this sometimes helps and lets me connect for 5 minutes but it is a real problem. I tried speaking to orange about it and they say its the manufactors or microsofts problem and not theirs when i ask for a replacement for a faulty handset!!!

Its not just you, if you find a solution or work out how orange will replace one, let me know