Virgin Mobile Lobster 700 (BT Movio) pricing announced

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-4973-1156859363.jpg

Remember the Virgin Mobile Lobster 700, the manual of which we posted exclusively here?

Well thanks to the BBC, we can reveal more details about pricing and launch!

Here's the deets on the soon-to-launch service...

- TV service provided by BT Movio
- launching from 1 October
- the first service to be broadcast via the DAB digital radio network instead of the 3G phone system
- service will offer offer BBC One, ITV1 and E4 live - but with some films, sport and US shows removed from the line-ups
- 50 DAB digital radio stations, depending on location, also available
- customers on contracts costing

I love the idea and would like a second handset for backup use to my Vario II. But really want to be able to put my TMob SIM in it and still use TV service which is sounding more and more unlikely. Also don't want to take on another contract so perhaps I should concentrate on getting Orb working properly.

Guest mini_man

I cant see how virgin can control this when you unlock the phone? Its not like its their DVB-H signal?

Its coming from the broadcasting station so virgin must have the service monitored when your using the tv on there network.

But surely once youve unlocked it on another sim they will think the phone is off forever and cant check up and block you.

unless of course the dvb is scrambled, and the phone collects a new key every month unless u dont pay.

(thats total theory, but it has to be considered)

an SDIO DVB card needs to come out for this to take off really, so far all the dvb phones have been ugly as hell, specially that lobster and its siamese twin lump hanging off the side. ew.

Guest nedge2k
unless of course the dvb is scrambled, and the phone collects a new key every month unless u dont pay.

(thats total theory, but it has to be considered)

I'd think that's exactly how it's done tbh. Same as TUTV/Cable, only the phone is it's own smartcard.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Heard about this on Radio2 the other day, sounds promising wonder how much the actual tv subscription will work as it uses live tv and not pre-recorded stuff.

They did a demo listening to BBC1 live on air, aparently there is about a minute delay compared to normal tv.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.