POP3 Email vanishes

Guest budda

When I originally set up my Gmail POP3 access for the MDA Vario II it was working great, then the phone got messed up and I had to do a hard reset. Since then I've been having this problem...

Has anybody had their POP3 email downloaded to the phone, and then it magically dissapears? Sometimes it can sit in the inbox for a few minutes, but then it just vanishes!

It may be caused by a new send/recieve action - but why does this happen and where does the missing emails go? They are not in any other folders, nor in the deleted items.

Seems odd! I had the same problem on the MDA Vario before I took it back.

• 5 months later...
Guest SONY007
When I originally set up my Gmail POP3 access for the MDA Vario II it was working great, then the phone got messed up and I had to do a hard reset. Since then I've been having this problem...

Has anybody had their POP3 email downloaded to the phone, and then it magically dissapears? Sometimes it can sit in the inbox for a few minutes, but then it just vanishes!

It may be caused by a new send/recieve action - but why does this happen and where does the missing emails go? They are not in any other folders, nor in the deleted items.

Seems odd! I had the same problem on the MDA Vario before I took it back.

I to am having this problem as well

Guest gs_london

Ahh guys this is an easy one to fix.

The problem is Google mail servers and windows mobile seem to have a disagreement on what constitutes email that has been read.

Windows Mobile for some reason deletes gmail emails off the device on every send and receive cycle.

The work around

In the mail program....

tools -> options

click on the name of your google mail account (mines called gmail)

click next on the email address prompt

click next on the 'User information' screen

click next on Account information

Choose 'Options' on the 'Server information' screen

Then next on Option 1/3

Next on Option 2/3

Here is the bit you need to change

On Option 3/3 select in the dropdown 'Get message headers only' (trust me here)

tick the 'Include' checkbox

put '999' in the box next to 'kb of message body'

Click 'Finish'

Click 'OK' and thats it.

What you have done is the workaround which just gets the subject and headers from incoming emails but includes part of the body in fact a nice fat chunk of the body which will cover most email contents. If its larger like an attatchment you will get the option to download the full email.

With these settings your mail will no longer disappear.

Happy days ;)

Let me know if it works

Guest SONY007
Ahh guys this is an easy one to fix.

The problem is Google mail servers and windows mobile seem to have a disagreement on what constitutes email that has been read.

Windows Mobile for some reason deletes gmail emails off the device on every send and receive cycle.

The work around

In the mail program....

tools -> options

click on the name of your google mail account (mines called gmail)

click next on the email address prompt

click next on the 'User information' screen

click next on Account information

Choose 'Options' on the 'Server information' screen

Then next on Option 1/3

Next on Option 2/3

Here is the bit you need to change

On Option 3/3 select in the dropdown 'Get message headers only' (trust me here)

tick the 'Include' checkbox

put '999' in the box next to 'kb of message body'

Click 'Finish'

Click 'OK' and thats it.

What you have done is the workaround which just gets the subject and headers from incoming emails but includes part of the body in fact a nice fat chunk of the body which will cover most email contents. If its larger like an attatchment you will get the option to download the full email.

With these settings your mail will no longer disappear.

Happy days ;)

Let me know if it works

Cheers m8,

I'll try out those settings you provided for my sky broadband email settings

• 5 months later...
Guest J-Foundation

in case anyone else is having no luck with the "headers only, set to 999kb" thing, try this :

How should I use POP on mobile or multiple devices?

If you're accessing your Gmail using POP from multiple clients, Gmail's recent mode makes sure that all messages are made available to each client, rather than only to the first client to access new mail.

Recent mode fetches the last 30 days of mail, regardless of whether it's been sent to another POP client already.

If you sign in to Gmail using your Blackberry, you're signed in to recent mode automatically. For all other POP clients, replace '[email protected]' in your POP client settings with 'recent:[email protected]'.

from Gmail Help / POP Access pages.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Quark

Just to provide some feedbacK: I'm using Windows Mobile 5.0, and the "headers only, set to 999kb" thing worked quite well, thanks for the tip! I wasn't so lucky with the "recent:" thing, though - the first attemtps seem to show that the client is always getting the full list of emails, having to check one by one all the time (I might be wrong, but I stopped trying).

Regards,

Rubens

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for some solution to this problem as it sort of defeated the purpose of using Pocket Outlook or your e-mails. I've tried the 'recent:' thing and selected to download the entire message, and it seemed to have sorted the problem. I can read the e-mail and it's still in my inbox after the next sent/receive cycle. Initially, the phone downloaded loads of my e-mails but I just let it do that and then deleted my inbox (making sure I opted to leave deleted messages on the server under the settings), and now it's fine, it's not downloading old e-mails anymore and would seem that it's not checking them either.