HTC Universal or HTC TyTN Pocket PC?!?!?

Guest cristaras

Guest cristaras

Hi guys!

I'm about to become a new member of the PPC community but still don't know what to buy!

I was about to get the new Sony Ericsson P990i when i found about HTC Universal or Qtek 9000 as they call it here (I was totaly lost with all the different names until I found this: url=http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_pocketpc_smartphone.php3 ).

Being almost ready to buy it, I came through the new HTC TyTN Pocket PC and now I'm TOTALY lost!!!!

I don't know what to do!?!?!?

Money isn't a problem, as I can get them from a relative really cheap, but which one is the best? I was a bit concerned about the size of Universal, but still....i don't know! Is it so big? I haven't seen it anywhere except on the net. But again if you can do exactly the same things with the TyTN Pocket PC (which is few cm smaller, 120g lighter as well as a year younger) why should i buy that one instead of the TyTN Pocket PC?

OUF.....HELP...PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...

The TyTN is an update to the Wizard (MDA Vario, SPV M3000, and so on), and is only a few months old. It's a compact qvga display device, with the main addition of UMTS and video calling capabilities over the Wizard.

The Universal a year old, but has a VGA display, with a larger form factor, but with a larger keyboard, and the ability to put on a desk/table, and type on it with the display at an angle. There's no official word on a replacement for this model just yet, but HTC have said they are developing one, I expect nothing until Q2 2007 though.

If you intend on using it for lots of web browsing, and want a better display with the ability of fitting much more on the screen, then the Universal is probably your device.

If you intend on using it as a phone with PDA capabilities, then the TyTN is probably for you.

Guest Confucious

Summed up quite nicely. The TyTN (AKA Hermes) has HSDPA as well if that's available where you are but the smaller screen, digfferent memory card (I have a 4Gb SD card and the largest you can get for the TyTN is 2Gb at the mo) together with the non standard headphone socket are what put me off the Hermes.

The Universal is big (no doubt about it) but if you do a lot of web browsing the VGA screen makes a heck of a difference. If you don't then the Hermes is a great phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cristaras
Summed up quite nicely. The TyTN (AKA Hermes) has HSDPA as well if that's available where you are but the smaller screen, digfferent memory card (I have a 4Gb SD card and the largest you can get for the TyTN is 2Gb at the mo) together with the non standard headphone socket are what put me off the Hermes.

The Universal is big (no doubt about it) but if you do a lot of web browsing the VGA screen makes a heck of a difference. If you don't then the Hermes is a great phone.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! ! ! :rolleyes: :( :)

• 5 weeks later...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! ! ! :rolleyes: :( :)

So, cristaras; which one did you end up getting?

I am actually in the same dilemma... the HTC Universal looks great, but the TyTN is newer... and I don't know, a better phone?

I'm leaning towards the TyTN myself.

So, cristaras; which one did you end up getting?

I am actually in the same dilemma... the HTC Universal looks great, but the TyTN is newer... and I don't know, a better phone?

I'm leaning towards the TyTN myself.

I own both (Hermes and Universal), however Universal is my primary phone... and I wont be switching until they release something as good - "laptopy look a like" :rolleyes: