Email Sync Strategies

Guest Dr Who

On my laptop I have a couple of thousand emails in my inbox. Lazy, I know but the situation has now achieved critical mass and I no longer have the time to actually sort these out properly. I have setup gmail pop access on my phone and now have a number of emails residing on the phone that weren't downloaded to my laptop which I now want to sync back to the laptop. I can't just tick sync email as this will obviously fill my phone with old emails. So what is the best way to sort this out?

I thought setting up an Inbox2 on my laptop and creating a rule to move all arriving email to that inbox on arrival and then run that rule on the current contents. That would then allow me to sync with my phone without having to sort out my current laptop inbox. I will never need to sync emails from the laptop to the phone so this should work, don't ya think?

In more general terms is it possible to view gmail on more than one computer without it marking an email as downloaded? Doesn't seem to respond to the normal commands of do not download email.

Just got a rather confused message from the missus. On her Vario II she has the Outlook inbox and below that a Gmail inbox setup for pop access to her gmail account. This morning she downloaded a few messages to gmail and then thought she would sync them to her laptop. However we haven't setup email syncing for her yet for a similar reason to me (over large inbox on the laptop). She connected her phone and then did a send/receive on the laptop. Apparently activesync made the connection noise several times and the email to her laptop Outlook inbox also appeared in her phones inbox but the three messages she had in the gmail subfolder disappeared.

1) Outlook isn't setup to sync emails and

2) I didn't think subfolders were synchronised

So any ideas why this would happen?

...now have a number of emails residing on the phone that weren't downloaded to my laptop which I now want to sync back to the laptop. I can't just tick sync email as this will obviously fill my phone with old emails. So what is the best way to sort this out?

I would forward the emails you want on the lappy to yourself (from the phone) then do a send/receive on the laptop to remove them from the server and therefore prevent the phone from downloading them again

In more general terms is it possible to view gmail on more than one computer without it marking an email as downloaded? Doesn't seem to respond to the normal commands of do not download email.

In Outlook (not sure about Outlook Express) if you dig through 'Tools' there is a setting to 'leave massages on server' (although this would stop the trick above working)

Not sure about the rest!

I would forward the emails you want on the lappy to yourself (from the phone) then do a send/receive on the laptop to remove them from the server and therefore prevent the phone from downloading them again

In Outlook (not sure about Outlook Express) if you dig through 'Tools' there is a setting to 'leave massages on server' (although this would stop the trick above working)

Not sure about the rest!

Hmmm, yes I could forward the emails again. Fine in the short term but doubles my bandwidth use.

Gmail doesn't seem to listen to the leave messages on server request.

Guest gs_london
Hmmm, yes I could forward the emails again. Fine in the short term but doubles my bandwidth use.

Gmail doesn't seem to listen to the leave messages on server request.

I read somewhere probably on this forum that Gmail and Windows Mobile 5 seem to disagree on what leave message on server actually means.

If your mail disappears from your device then there is a workaround.

On device (from within Gmail account)

Tools -> Options -> [your gmail account]

hit 'next' till you get to the 'Server Information' screen

choose 'options'

and Next -> Next

when your on the 3rd option screen

in the dropdown select 'Get message headers only'

check the 'Include' checkbox and insert '999' in the 'kb of message body' box

This works fine but of course if your messages are bigger than 999kb it will need to second send and receive to download the remainder

I have been tearing my hair out trying to make this work since Windows Mobile 3 and finally I can collect my Gmail on a 3 minute turnaround without having to read the messages before the next send and receive cycle and fearing the messages being lost.

Not sure if this is your problem but it might help someone

Cheers dude! I had figured out the message header thing but didn't occur to me to set that to 999kb - that will definitely help! Thinking I will get an exchange account in the long run. Not sure that it is just WM5 that has this problem though, I'm sure that it happens between my two laptops as well.