HELP! Media Player is now ignoring my memory card.

Guest inspectorgadjet

Guest inspectorgadjet

I stupidly took my memory card out of my Tytn to show someone how small it is. After I put it back in (and reset my Tytn because it won't pick up the card again) I opened media player and it asked me if I wanted to search the memory card for new music. I thought that because the music had already been added to the library previously I didn't need to. So I chose no. That was a bad mistake. Since then, I can't get media player to see my memory card. It just isn't listed in the Library at all any more, and when I update the library it doesn't add any files. I've tried taking the memory card out and resetting, but nothing makes the storage card option appear in media player any more.

Anybody else experienced that or know how to fix it? I have searched the forums, but didn't find anything useful.

Guest randomelements

When I first put my memory card in WMP wouldn't let me select it so I chose the option to Open File and played an mp3 directly from the card. after that WMP saw it OK.

Guest inspectorgadjet

I have given that a try before (and now again just to be sure) and it hasn't helped. It plays the music, but does not bring back the option to use the storage card in the library.

I have given that a try before (and now again just to be sure) and it hasn't helped. It plays the music, but does not bring back the option to use the storage card in the library.

Have you tried reformatting the card?

I'm not keen to do that as I have all my tomtom maps and other files on the card already.

Copy everything from the card onto your PC, wipe and format the card and copy it back again.

Copy everything from the card onto your PC, wipe and format the card and copy it back again.

Do that this time... if it happens again delete the MSMETADATA folder from your card and update the library.

Also Jimbouk recommends (although I wouldn't listen to him, I'm doing his wife, and he knows it) you use FAT to format the card instead of FAT32/NTFS.

Use the format utility provided (not QUITE but...) by HP. I referred to it here, but I'll be damned if I can get a direct link to it to work.

Guest randomelements
if it happens again delete the MSMETADATA folder from your card and update the library

I had this happen this morning - had to delete both the MSMETADATA folder from the card and the WMPinfo file from the root of My Device.

Definitely looks like a corrupt database issue that causes it.

Edited by randomelements