Slide build quality

Guest jamesb

I'm trying to decide if i have a dodgy handset here. When the keyboard is closed, the two halfs of the phone have a fair bit of play (I can slide the top half maybe .5mm or so before the catch restricts movement) and the catch that keeps it closed does not seem to need much force to overcome it. By contrast, when the keyboard is extended, there is a good positive click and it takes much more force to shut it again.

Is this normal or should I be thinking about getting it replaced? I'm trying to decide if i am just being paranoid - i was worried about this before i even got the phone! :D

I'm trying to decide if i have a dodgy handset here. When the keyboard is closed, the two halfs of the phone have a fair bit of play (I can slide the top half maybe .5mm or so before the catch restricts movement) and the catch that keeps it closed does not seem to need much force to overcome it. By contrast, when the keyboard is extended, there is a good positive click and it takes much more force to shut it again.

Is this normal or should I be thinking about getting it replaced? I'm trying to decide if i am just being paranoid - i was worried about this before i even got the phone! :D

It's the same with mine, and I assume it's probably normal for the device

Same here too. :D But only one side getting loose, really anoying :D .

So what about those people who havent had a problem? Is the close catch still as good as the one that keeps the keyboard open?

Can someone who doesnt have a problem please let us know how postive the close catch is as I'm seriously thinking of getting a replacement handset.

Guest richard_d
So what about those people who havent had a problem? Is the close catch still as good as the one that keeps the keyboard open?

Can someone who doesnt have a problem please let us know how postive the close catch is as I'm seriously thinking of getting a replacement handset.

The close catch isn't quite as positive, and there is and always has been the very slightest play (less than 1mm). Personally I don't consider it a problem.

Richard

After reading another thread where people had mentioned that the newer handsets had a better build quality, I'm going to get this thing replaced.

Does anyone know if I can get it replaced i at the t-mobile store where i purchased it, or do i need to contact CS? (I've had it 15 days if it makes a difference).

I got the Orange SPV M3100 version. My first example was very well built & there was no play at all when the keyboard was closed. Even when sliding the keyboard out I could feel that it was very sturdy. I had to swap it over for a new one which was not as well made. There were a few sqeaks & creaks & the slider action was a lot looser but when closed it was ok, there was no noticeable play.

I ultimately cancelled the contract when MDA Vario II came out because of the better tariffs but after discovering that there was no 3G coverage where I live I decided to get another SPV this time sim free off ebay for

Guest MPXtricky

My M3100 has the slightest hint of play in the closed position too. I don't think you are going to find one that doesn't after a bit of use. Open the keyboard and look at the underside of the screen part. It should be possible to do something to make those two slots a tiny bit shorter which might stop the looseness. I'm not gonna FUBAR mine trying that though - I can live with it for now.

After reading another thread where people had mentioned that the newer handsets had a better build quality, I'm going to get this thing replaced.

Does anyone know if I can get it replaced i at the t-mobile store where i purchased it, or do i need to contact CS? (I've had it 15 days if it makes a difference).

My M3100 has the slightest hint of play in the closed position too. I don't think you are going to find one that doesn't after a bit of use.

I went into the T-Mobile shop today and I asked to check a new handset. The new one was just about as bad as my one is now so maybe my handset isnt so bad after all. :D

I'm satisfied for the time being unless it gets drastically worse, as it doesnt seem like i will get anything markedly better than what i have now.

• 2 weeks later...
I went into the T-Mobile shop today and I asked to check a new handset. The new one was just about as bad as my one is now so maybe my handset isnt so bad after all. :)

I'm satisfied for the time being unless it gets drastically worse, as it doesnt seem like i will get anything markedly better than what i have now.

My Orange M3100 is fine ? Catch completely OK, sounds like those whose move is a fault ?

When closed mine might move back like 0.001mm but insignificant ????

Id get an exchange as these devices only get worse with wear n tear and sounds like your catch could go fairly soon!