microSD speed

Guest adge

Am looking at buying a 1Gb microSD card for my Vario II, and have noticed that SanDisk now have an UltraII version of their card.

Does anyone have any experience of whether it's worth the extra money for this over the standard one ?

I'm guessing it might speed up application load time, and help with mp3 playing, but only if the device can keep up. (Kinda hoping the VarioII with it's faster processor can start to take advantage of these things)

Adge

Am looking at buying a 1Gb microSD card for my Vario II, and have noticed that SanDisk now have an UltraII version of their card.

Does anyone have any experience of whether it's worth the extra money for this over the standard one ?

I'm guessing it might speed up application load time, and help with mp3 playing, but only if the device can keep up. (Kinda hoping the VarioII with it's faster processor can start to take advantage of these things)

Adge

I'd say that its probably not worth the extra. Typically all cards can perform much faster than the read/write speed of the device itself.

MicroSD cards seem to be faster than their standard SD counterparts.

Guest randomelements

I've just got a 1GB Kingston Transflash card - pretty standard and I've not had any issues with speed. MP3s from the card are fine and I can do other stuff OK when WMP is running in the background. Not sure if there's really any need to get a faster card.

There is a tweak to help speed up transfer from a card but some say it doesn't work on WM5. You could give it a try though:

change the BlockTransferSize values under both keys

hklm\drivers\sdcard\clientdrivers\class\mmc_class

hklm\drivers\sdcard\clientdrivers\class\SDMemory_class

to 128 or 256 (set to 64 by default)

Has anyone tested this?