Treo 750v review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-1-1158088015_thumb.gif

Jason Langridge, Microsoft's UK based enterprise mobility guru and self proclaimed 'Mr Mobile', has posted a quick review of the new Vodafone 750v over at his blog. It's worth a read (Jason, where are the picturres? :D), and he definitely seems to like it!

Excerpts from the review...

...The Palm Treo 750v is the European cousin of the Treo 700w(and 700wx device) It's a 3G (UMTS) Windows Mobile device and is launched exclusively with Vodafone.

I've been fortunate enough to have one of these to test for the past 2 months and now it's been announced I can share my thoughts and review it!...

...Personally I've found the form factor to be perfect as my everyday device...

...The keyboard on the Treo 750v is fantastic. I've never done so much email or note taking on a device (without a Bluetooth keyboard)....

...One of the areas Palm has spent a huge amount of time on is ensuring the device can be used one handed...

I'll reserve judgement myself on a 240x240 screened Pocket PC with a 1.3MP camera, no HSDPA and no WiFi... but there's no denying the launch of a Windows Mobile powered Palm device this side of the pond is welcome!

I've also included a lovely picture so you can see what he's writing about :D

Enjoy!

P

yaaay - my next device! when's it available outside europe? when's it available non-contract? gimme gimme gimme!

By the way... is there any way to make the soft key and menu bars a little narrower, to increase vertical real estate space? or will programs just default to that size anyway and not give u any extra room?

AND - will there be any way to make it anything other than (yawn) Palm Blue...

Edited by bennish

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spacerace

I think the release date for this on Vodafone was yesterday ? It's now on the Vodafone site. Will there be a new device section added for this ?

I'm trying to decide between this and the Samsung i320....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spacerace
spacerace : that samsung looks like it sucks imo...TINY screen and MASSIVE device..lol

maybe, but I've decided the 750v is gonna be too big for everyday use. Every time I buy a PPCPE device I try and kid myself that the extra productivity/features will be worht carrying round a larger device, and every time I end up shelving it and going back to a smartphone. The i320 should be a good compromise (for me !).

The i320 IS tiny...

P

Paul, are you still planning to do a review of the Palm 750v?

I would be particularly interested in your views whether your the productivity is higher on the 750v vs. the i320 - in particular Calendar, Tasks, Email / SMS. How much of a compromise is it to use Windows for Smartphone vs. Windows Mobile for PPC for these everyday tasks (90% of MY use, along with phone calls...)

Now that you have both, which do you use as your everyday device?

Thanks in advance

Loukas

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, I am... I don't want to sell the 750v short (or the i320 for that matter) by reviewing before i've given them a good work out.

Which do / would I use as my everyday device?

My Vario II :rolleyes:

Whether Smartphone is much of a compromise depends a lot on what you're used to really I think, as a Vario user you'd probably find the Vario II more familiar and the Smartphone more limiting?

P

Whether Smartphone is much of a compromise depends a lot on what you're used to really I think, as a Vario user you'd probably find the Vario II more familiar and the Smartphone more limiting?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your fast reply.

The functions I use most, besides phone, are SMS'ing, checking out my calendar and tasks and inputing new tasks that are then synched back to Outlook (my productivity center - based on the GTD methodology by David Allen).

In which ways do you find the Vario II more convenient than the i320? or Treo 750v. I like the idea of an "exposed" keyboard, always accessible.

Thanks,

Loukas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.