Are WM5 PPC devices REALLY single handed operational?

Guest spider

Guest Laser_iCE

Well see, you just happened to choose one of the ONLY devices that doesn't have the Windows/OK buttons mapped at the bottom of the device :D You can slide the keyboard out slightly and the Windows key is visible... However, yes, PPC's aren't exactly the easiest to navigate with one hand, but after a while you pretty much just get used to it :D

Guest allydent

I'm slowly developing one-handed use of the slide out keyboard on my hermes. Holding the device upright in my left hand my thumb is in a position to use any of the keys. Not sure I'll ever be able to touch type that way, but at least my speed is nearing comparable.

Guest randomelements

The PPC and a SmartPhone are entirely different animals and the PPC will never be a one-handed device. The thing with WM5 etc. is that it makes "core" functionality and navigation one handed.

You should choose a device by looking at what it will be used for. A PPC cannot be expected to behave in the same way as a SmartPhone just as a SmartPhone cannot be expected to have the same functionality as a PPC.

For better one handed operation of the wizard install smartskey , it lets you opeen the start menu with a long press of the left softkey, and close windows with the a long press on the right softkey. it also lets you use the volume slider to scroll pages. very cool toy!

does that work with the hermes. as we have more buttons didnt want to wade through 33 pages :D !! to look

could do with a left soft key click do x left soft key click and hold (like the button for voice notes i presume) do y

JEREMY

The PPC and a SmartPhone are entirely different animals and the PPC will never be a one-handed device. The thing with WM5 etc. is that it makes "core" functionality and navigation one handed.

You should choose a device by looking at what it will be used for. A PPC cannot be expected to behave in the same way as a SmartPhone just as a SmartPhone cannot be expected to have the same functionality as a PPC.

I find that with phonepad installed I can pretty much use my Hermes one handed, except unlock for which I need to resort to tapping the screen. Its not as fast as using my C500 but its not too bad.

@ randomelements,

I know what you mean. But in my opinion a "back"or "cancel" function would be a core function as well. Actually what I could see from the QTEK 9100was that it was not possible to cancel a function, e.g. if you wanted to make an calender appointment you could not "cancel"the operation, but only press the OK in the upper right corner..... I might be wrong (maybe I should just have pressed on another part of the screen or on the start menu..never tried that though and it would exit the calender function)maybe you can confirm?

How about the HERMES or TyTn...would the jog dial do this kind of cancel function, by pressing the wheel backwards?

I understand your point in having different functionality for different devices and for different end user segments, however the most basic is something that one must for sure expect.

Who actually decides the actual hardware functionality? Is it Windows or the manufacture of the hardware device itself?

In other words: if for example Widows makes a software PPC platform which can be operated "one hand" by use of soft keys etc, but the hardware manufacturer decides not to follow these "rules", how can the consumer (us, you and me) and Windows point at the hardware manufacturer and say:hey this is wrong..this was not how the software/hardware interaction was intended to be (or visa verse)?

and now that we are at the subject: Who is the KOL (Key Opinion Leaders)in this industry? and who would Windows and the hardware manufacture listen to?

I know...I know...lots of questions...but in my opinion it could be interesting to hear your (and others, Maybe Paul as well ;o) opinion about these issues

The OK button effectively replaces the back and cancel functions. Feels odd at first.

okay...but lets say I am about to make an calender entry but want to cancel the operation (and therefore the item will not be shown in the calender when I chose to cancel), how does it act if I press the OK button (in order to cancel the operation). As far as I could imagine the calender entry would be made even though I would like to cancel it....or am I wrong?

sorry for all these questions... but you should all know that I really appreciate your help :D