How much data would I use?

Guest MHT223

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a 3100, just wonderd how much data I'd use sending/receiving about 15 emails a day and logging into the server every 5 minutes (dont really need the urgency of DirectPush) every month? Would 10mb cover it?

Thanks,

Mark

Guest richard_d
Hi,

I'm planning on getting a 3100, just wonderd how much data I'd use sending/receiving about 15 emails a day and logging into the server every 5 minutes (dont really need the urgency of DirectPush) every month? Would 10mb cover it?

Thanks,

Mark

It depends on the size of your emails and whether they've got attachments etc. You can set the email client to just download headers and a set number of k per email though. I think you'd struggle to use up 10mb per month without internet browsing though.

Richard

Guest randomelements

Do you need to check every 5 mins?

If you take Direct Push as a comparison, the heartbeat alone would typically use between 4 and 7MB per month (depending on the interval) and this is without any actual mail data. The lower figure would probably be with the heartbeat set at the maximum duration of 59 minutes.

If you then think of the phone polling the server every 5 minutes as a "heartbeat" then you could be heading up towards 10-12MB without even sending any actual data. Also, don't forget that a server poll will actually use more data than a direct heartbeat which is essentially just a ping.

If you want to check every 5 minutes then I don't actually think that 10MB a month would cover you.

i check my email from two accounts every 15 mins. and do a bit of web browsing on average i use 10 Mb a DAY (although i could use a lot more if i got into podcasts and stuff due to tmobile having a 2gb limit!!!)

i dont think even if you just restricted it to email use alone that 10mb would be sufficient.

I would highly highly reccomend buying SPB GPRS monitor if you have a limit so you can check how much you are using and if need be stop it when you get towards the 10mb limit. i would also highly reccomend that you dont have it set to 5 mins but to 59mins (the longest possible) and have headers only as it is only this way that 10 mb might be kept under for a month

JEREMY

Edited by Guest