SPV M600

Guest MattChan

Guest MattChan

Just wanted peoples opinions on this phone!

Anything that has failed on you? Reliable etc?

And anyone who wishes to follow up on ones comments, perhaps they could confirm if they have had the same problems too?

And what about the good points? What do you really like about the handset?

I hope I make sense, I ought to be buying one by the end of the week :D

Edited by MattChan

Depends what you want it for really! I just stopped using my m600 in favour of my old c550, mainly because one handed operation with a ppc is basically impossible. There are stacks of great apps for ppc in comparison to smartphone, so if you need functionality then ppc is much better. I did find my m600 very slow though ...

Matt,

I have had M600 since June. It has its pros and cons, like any device.

Pros:

Huge screen, makes gaming realistic rather than daft wee screens on C500/550 etc

Functionality - The amount of software available for PPC is mind boggling, you name it, its out there. I recently used it as an FTP client to upload changes to a website (just an example)

GPS: I use it with TOMTOM and Fugawi (OS software) with no probelms so dont believe posters who say it doesnt.

Cons: The major one for me was no hardware keypad, it makes texting a bit of a fiddle without the stylus. However I have since discovered TenGo Thumbs (www.tengo.net) which is a Soft QWERTY keyboard that predicts text much like T9 but its keys are big enough to text one (or two) handed without having to look like a muppet using the stylus.

One handed use is achievable for most core fucntions such as calls and texts but you will always have to get the stylus out for something

Speed is a wee bit slow to load some apps, but copes well enough for some of the bigger games.

Bottom line is - decide whether you are prepared to compromise some samrtphone like features for a far superior device in terms of fucntionality. Also I thought it would feel like a brick but its actually quite compact and I barely notice it in my pocket.

Hope that helps

HP

Edited by hp1

Guest MattChan

That's great so far.

Sorry to hear about the GPS Problems for you gazeem. I have two people saying two different things, so I can't say anything about that. Besides, GPS is not the most important thing for me!

@hp1:

What do you mean by "Smartphone Like Features" that may need to be compromised? I'm not sure what you mean there! I had a C550, and had a good 6 months use til I cracked the screen (argh!!) but I still do not get you!?

Many thanks for replies all :D

Matt.

Sorry matt i guess that was a bit vague. I proably just meant 'phone' like features, primarily the hardware phone pad that you have taken for granted on your 550. I went from a C500 to the M600 and really missed it for the first week or so but you get used to it. THe hardware 'OK' and 'Start menu' keys really help with one handed use but it will never be as slick as a C500/550/600 for quick dialling and texting. It depends what is really important to you.

HP

Guest maxwell_hung

Has anyone got tengo thumb to work on the M600?

I've installed it (to main memory) and it when I change to use it, nothing happens. It just sits there on whatever it was on before.

Max,

This happened with me. You need to do a soft reset and then you are able to select TenGo. I love it, it is by far the best solution for texting with thumbs so you dont have to take the stylus out in the pub or something.

HP

Guest sittingduck

I do miss the one handed operation of the c500, c550 & the c600, which is the m600's only critism as far as i am concerned

but the pro's far outweigh the cons

larger screen for starters

better software

better version of tomtom

windows mobile v5 is fantastic

in total i think its far superior :rolleyes:

I would estimate that 100% of people moving from smartphone to ppc find the lack of a keyboard really difficult to get used to. About 10% give up within a week and change back and the rest soldier on and then find they would never change back.

Of course if you get the hermes (SPV M3100), you get the QWERTY keyboard, which is superb but impractical for one handed use.

Guest MattChan

Awesome guys, thanks for that. I just got it Yesterday, in charging at the moment!

How important do you think it is to charge the full 14 (or 18 did they say?) hours? I questioned them, they told me it's important. I'm not convinced though!?

good choice on the m600 you won't be disappointed! With lithium ion batteries I don't think it is as important as they don't have memory like older types is batteries. I always find that the operating time gets better over the first few weeks until it reaches it's optimum so don't be surprised is the phone doesn't hold it's charge as well to begin with.