VPN Questions

Guest stug

Hi, I've got a few questions about connecting to VPNs with PPC devices. This is something I have never tried before - I have just put a VPN in place in our office using a Cisco router, and colleagues and I connect to it using PC's with no problems using the Cisco VPN client software. I have two main questions:

1) What is the best PPC VPN client?

2) We have confiured our VPN to assign 10.103.x.x ip addresses to clients - from what I have read this won't work with TMobile - will we have to change the DHCP range to a 192.168.x.x range?

Cheers,

Stuart

the one thats built in is meant to be rather good. T-mobile DO allow VPNs although have not set one up myself yet.

they just dont gaurantee its reliability.

JEREMY

And presumably this would allow one to get round their restriction on things like VOIP, IM, streaming?

I don't actually know I presume yes as they can't see what traffic is being generated on a vpn.

but as for im I use msn messenger all the time and not had any official things yet. streaming I suppose would be a lot easier for them to pick up on. but really as long as one does not use it excessively and go over the 2gb limit I can't see why you would be flagged anyway

Jeremy

Guest spacemonkey

In the fair use policies:

T-Mobile - ban VoIP, streaming media

Orange - ban VoIP, streaming media and IM

So MSN Messenger isn't a problem on T-Mobile. Orange is only banning it because they want to create their own and think it will be a revenue stream.

I don't actually know I presume yes as they can't see what traffic is being generated on a vpn.

but as for im I use msn messenger all the time and not had any official things yet. streaming I suppose would be a lot easier for them to pick up on. but really as long as one does not use it excessively and go over the 2gb limit I can't see why you would be flagged anyway

Jeremy

Guest Kallisti

For what it's worth, I think the reason for banning IM is it's inclusion of multimedia messaging.. Steps on not only the text message toes, but potentially the video and audio toes too..

However, yes, t-mob have seen the error of their ways.

What you mean they have officially taken moip out of the banned stuff in the t and c s if so can you provide a link to it

not that it matters as I'm going to use msn regardless

Jeremy