Change Installation Directory?

Guest sitchey

Hi

I purchased an i-mate sp5 which has pocket pc 2005 and activesync 4.1. On my old HP Pda is was able to change the installation directory, but now with activesync 4.1 i cant change the installation directory to my storage card.

I cant use any older versions of activesync as the device wont work with it. Does anyone know how to change the installation directory to the storage card as I have no space left on the main memory

thanks for any replies

Guest jeffogden

When you install the program, it should prompt you on the phone to either install it to "Storage" or "Device." This is after you get message on your PC that tells you "Installation complete please see phone for further instructions.

I had this same problem until I discoverd this. There some good posts on this forum that also teach you how to store your Temporary Pocket IE files to your Storage card and also install ClearView to your storage card.

The link to this awesome post is http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=storage

Later.

Yeah i know about selecting the storage or device, but my problem is that im looking to install a sat nav software but i needs 14mb to install, and as i only have 9mb free on the phones memory i never get the chance to select "storage" on the phone.

Does anyone know a way round this?

Guest bbrockie

Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got no more than 3MB available on the device, but my Storage Card has more than 1GB available. As such, I can't install files larger than 3MB onto my device using ActiveSync, as it seems that ActiveSync first throws the .cab file onto the Device, then starts the installer from there :rolleyes:

Is there possibly a registry tweak to fix this problem? :(

Guest bbrockie

.CAB Ripping from Installer files

Okey, I found a temporary solution, which might work for you guys aswell, in case you don't have the .cab files:

1. Run the installer and wait for ActiveSync to popup and tell you you're out of space.

2. Close the installer and go to the ActiveSync directory (Usually "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync")

3. Now find the program you tried to install in here (You could sort by "Date Modified") - Usualy a folder named after the program/developer

4. Copy the .cab file to your device's Storage Card using "Explore" in ActiveSync.

5. Run the .cab file from your device and choose to install it to your Storage Card

Worked like a charm for me 2 minutes ago :rolleyes:

Edited by bbrockie

Guest Laser_iCE
.CAB Ripping from Installer files

Okey, I found a temporary solution, which might work for you guys aswell, in case you don't have the .cab files:

1. Run the installer and wait for ActiveSync to popup and tell you you're out of space.

2. Close the installer and go to the ActiveSync directory (Usually "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync")

3. Now find the program you tried to install in here (You could sort by "Date Modified") - Usualy a folder named after the program/developer

4. Copy the .cab file to your device's Storage Card using "Explore" in ActiveSync.

5. Run the .cab file from your device and choose to install it to your Storage Card

Worked like a charm for me 2 minutes ago :rolleyes:

Nice find! I'm yet to test it yet, but I'm impressed :( Good work mate :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've only had my v1240 a couple of days and I've been gradually reinstalling my favourite apps & games. I'm about 1/2 way through and started to install Pocket Golf. Imagine my surprise when it wouldn't work do to not enough memory!

I didn't have this problem with my C550 <_<

Edited by sponge

Guest bbrockie
I've only had my v1240 a couple of days and I've been gradually reinstalling my favourite apps & games. I'm about 1/2 way through and started to install Pocket Golf. Imagine my surprise when it wouldn't work do to not enough memory!

I didn't have this problem with my C550 <_<

Try my tip above! - It works like a charm :rolleyes: