UTStarcom to release HTC Libra based 5800

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hot on the heels of the UTStarcom 6800, aka the HTC Hermes, comes the UTStarcom 5800, based on the previously unseen HTC Libra.

Pictured below courtesy of Engadget, the 5800 is a Pocket PC featuring a QWERTY keyboard, but in a very compact form factor!

Points to note:

- Very small 3 row keyboard

- Small space bar on right of keyboard

- Caps / FN lock LEDs

- No directional pad :rolleyes:

I think the jury is out on this one with regard to usability... I think only after using one in person will we know for sure if the compact size is at the expense of the user experience!

The UTStarcom will be CDMA EVDO ready, with a GSM version to follow.

P

[Disclaimer: Paul's news catch-up...]

utstarcom5800.gif

Guest richard_d
Hot on the heels of the UTStarcom 6800, aka the HTC Hermes, comes the UTStarcom 5800, based on the previously unseen HTC Libra.

Pictured below courtesy of Engadget, the 5800 is a Pocket PC featuring a QWERTY keyboard, but in a very compact form factor!

Points to note:

- Very small 3 row keyboard

- Small space bar on right of keyboard

- Caps / FN lock LEDs

- No directional pad :rolleyes:

I think the jury is out on this one with regard to usability... I think only after using one in person will we know for sure if the compact size is at the expense of the user experience!

The UTStarcom will be CDMA EVDO ready, with a GSM version to follow.

P

[Disclaimer: Paul's news catch-up...]

utstarcom5800.gif

Are we sure this a Pocket PC and not a Smartphone?

Richard

I'm guessing PPC, but I'm thinking a really good idea (since it's losing the D-pad) is to have the numeric keys double as arrows with the 5 doubling as the select/enter key when not in phone dialing mode.

Don't most PPC devices come with a stylus? I know that the pics aren't very big and don't show all of the device but I also don't see anywhere a stylus would be stored.

Guest Laser_iCE
Don't most PPC devices come with a stylus? I know that the pics aren't very big and don't show all of the device but I also don't see anywhere a stylus would be stored.

I'd assume it would probably be like the Wizard (and Hermes?) and be in the lower right hand corner -- the only one you can't fully see :rolleyes:

Guest richard_d
See that black corner on the lower left hand side of the front? I think thats a stylus.

I'm still not convinced it's a PPC - aren't they Home and back keys rather than windows and OK?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.