orange vs tmobile... how good are they really?

Guest gonzo7

Hi guys,

I hope I am not posting in the wrong area. Basically I want to get a PDAphone (i.e. a tmobile vario 2 or an orange spv m3100).

I know what phone, I am just unsure on which network to go for. I have heard that tmobile is rubbish for reception (especially in rural areas), but they do offer webnwalk, and flex-t, which are both great.

The covarage map for tmobile says apparently I can get 2g in my are, but the tmobile rep assures me that the area has 3g coverage (the map although claimed uptodat only shows 3g in the city centres).

Anyway, on the otherhand there is orange:

expensive datat, expensive contract, but free broadband and good customer service. I know I can get 3g in my area.

Basically the question is which network do you guys recon is better, cos afterall the phone is a 3g phone and with out good data charges and fast data connection (3g) the phone is just not able to live up to its potential.

Obviously I also want to be contactable and do not want the phone to loose reception.

Hope you can help cos I really want to get one of these.... as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Gonzo7

Guest richard_d
Hi guys,

I hope I am not posting in the wrong area. Basically I want to get a PDAphone (i.e. a tmobile vario 2 or an orange spv m3100).

I know what phone, I am just unsure on which network to go for. I have heard that tmobile is rubbish for reception (especially in rural areas), but they do offer webnwalk, and flex-t, which are both great.

The covarage map for tmobile says apparently I can get 2g in my are, but the tmobile rep assures me that the area has 3g coverage (the map although claimed uptodat only shows 3g in the city centres).

expensive datat, expensive contract, but free broadband and good customer service. I know I can get 3g in my area.

Basically the question is which network do you guys recon is better, cos afterall the phone is a 3g phone and with out good data charges and fast data connection (3g) the phone is just not able to live up to its potential.

Obviously I also want to be contactable and do not want the phone to loose reception.

Hope you can help cos I really want to get one of these.... as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Gonzo7

Okay...

I'm sure one of the mods will move this to a more appropriate section - they're Pocket PC devices rather than Smartphones, but in the meantime...

Firstly I'd have a browse through The Lounge and the HTC Hermes forums on this board for what other people feel.

I've not used Orange customer service, but it doesn't have a great reputation. I have used T-Mobile Customer Service and found it excellent so far.

Don't rely on coverage maps - I've found they're at best a poor guide, at worst completely misleading. I didn't have a lot of choice as to who I went with out of the two - despite Orange being generally good in my area (and showing well on the map) I can't get a signal in my house. I would strongly recommend asking friends/relatives/complete strangers what the actual signal situation is like, or failing that trying out PAYG sim cards.

If you live in a large city you'll probably find both offer a good 3G signal. Orange do have more rural transmitters, but check you're area for actual signals.

As to which contract is better, that's an individual choice. For low talk, high data users like me T-Mobile is better, but I think the differences are less pronounced for higher talkers. Work out what you need and which suits you best if reception isn't an issue.

Richard

expensive datat, expensive contract, but free broadband and good customer service.

Gonzo7

Orange has far from good customer service. My partner recently lost her business phone and it took 11 days for orange to eventually come up with another one. This was meant to be a 24hr turnaround. They told her twice a phone was on its way when it wasnt and when she eventually got one it had no battery and the wrong back for it. The sim was blocked because she had reported the old phone lost and it took 2 days to lift the block because they were saying there was no block on it when there was. I would stay well away from Orange.

Guest chucky.egg

The Doctor is right - but I'd go a little further

Get an Orange and a T-Mobile PAYG SIM too, that way you can use them without having to sort out the invoices and credits from the networks when you decide which one to go with.

The only way to know about coverage is to try it, and this way you can try it at no risk

Edited by chucky.egg