Spongy screen?

Guest peekbee

Hi Folks,

I've just got a replacement Vario II today, after experiencing the screen alignment problem, which got progressively worse over a couple of weeks. Trouble is, I think the screen on the replacement has got a problem.

After taking off the screen protector with the writing on telling you to install active sync or whatever, I notice that the actual screen appears quite spongy. There seems to be a film of some sort that covers the glass but this isnt quite flush to the glass.

Anyone else experience this? Did'nt on my first Vario II.

Cheers,

Paul B

I can see I'm not setting the forum alight with this one, but I would really be interested to know if anyone else has found the plastic screen that you touch the stylus with to sit very slightly proud of the actual screen.

I don't remember this on the first Vario II I had, and although it's only slightly annoying, I will get on the phone to CS if no-one else has got this.

Cheers

PaulB

well since no one else has replied I thought I would. it depens what you mean by sitting proud.

my screen has definitely got a surface sitting above it which gives a tiny amount when pressed (presumably the touch sensitive layer )

and I do mean a tiny amount you have to really look for movement to see that there is a spongy layer on top of the screen at all.

hope this helps

Jeremy

I can see I'm not setting the forum alight with this one, but I would really be interested to know if anyone else has found the plastic screen that you touch the stylus with to sit very slightly proud of the actual screen.

PaulB

FWIW the screen you touch with the stylus on mine also sits slightly proud of the thicker screen below. I had (possibly wrongly) assumed this was a necessary characteristic of the touchscreen, though TBH I don't recall my old SE P800 needing this.

If you hold the Vario II a near right angles in front of the eye and catch a light reflection off the screen you can clearly see the screen dipping and flexing as you touch it. And it does feel spongy rather than positive as you scribe. Not too much of an issue for point and clicking, but can be annoying if dragging or drawing with the stylus.

Is this a fault or a characteristic?! Would [now] be interested if others have got this! Mine is an HT634 model, so perhaps they added the gap so alleviate the screen alignment issue?!

Rufus.

see I would say its a characteristic as mine vario 2 has had no problems whatsoever. not the screen alignment thing or whatever. and mine gives a tiny bit.

I've been very happy with the vario 2 so ill just leave it at that I think

BTW how do you find out what model number yours is ie ht634 etc etc thanks

Jeremy

never mind found it

mine is HT632F...... no idea whether this is meant to be part of the bad bunch or the fixed bunch but I've had it now for about two months and have not had any problems with it whatsoever hardware wise.

so anyway I'm off now

Jeremy

Thanks a lot folks,

I think and will just live with it. It definitely dips more that my first Vario II, but I really can't be bothered to arrange a replacement again.

I'm out of the 28 day period now anyway. Does this apply to the original date you took out the contract?.

Overall, I'm more than happy with the Vario II.

PaulB

After taking off the screen protector with the writing on telling you to install active sync or whatever, I notice that the actual screen appears quite spongy. There seems to be a film of some sort that covers the glass but this isnt quite flush to the glass.

Anyone else experience this? Did'nt on my first Vario II.

Cheers,

Paul B

I have just received my replacement M3100 (HTC636F) and the screen is b****y horrible!

REALLY "spongy" and almost impossible to drag the stylus over. It feels really "sticky" when you try and move the stylus - as if the surface is rippling up ahead of the stylus.

What the hell have they done to it!

I don't know what to do now. Do I ask for another replacement? Is this "faulty" or is this just the new screen? I wonder if they are using a new/different screen suppler?

Any ideas please?

I have just received my replacement M3100 (HTC636F) and the screen is b****y horrible!

REALLY "spongy" and almost impossible to drag the stylus over. It feels really "sticky" when you try and move the stylus - as if the surface is rippling up ahead of the stylus.

What the hell have they done to it!

I don't know what to do now. Do I ask for another replacement? Is this "faulty" or is this just the new screen? I wonder if they are using a new/different screen suppler?

Any ideas please?

Sounds like yours is worse than mine. I would say that's a definite fault. If it did'nt invalidate the warranty I would take the screen unit apart and flatten out the plastic covering.

It might be worth popping into an Orange or T-Mobile shop and comparing

I'd be interested in knowing how you get on.

Guest noodles-21

I have the same lose/slack fitting film over the vario 2 screen, but it's not causing any problems, I can live with it. although the HT632 and HT634 I had replaced before this for other problems, had a much closer fitting film.

I have the same lose/slack fitting film over the vario 2 screen, but it's not causing any problems, I can live with it. although the HT632 and HT634 I had replaced before this for other problems, had a much closer fitting film.

Out of interest, anyone know what the film is for? Is it part of the touch screen mechanism?

PaulB