Mobius 2006 Boston: AKU3 Preview

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]A sneak preview for you of the forthcoming Windows AKU3 Windows Mobile 5 update, live from Mobius Boston 2006.

Here's some of what you can expect to see in AKU3, detail in the slides below!

- Better integration of SIM / USIM contacts

- Alphabetic sorting of SIM / USIM contacts in contacts list view

- Pocket PC language packs at hard reset time (UK English PPC at last?)

- Auxiliary display support native in OS

- Improved 'Internet Sharing'

- Much improved quick start wizard with 'skip' for tutorial, settings setup at boot time

- Pre-provisioned email accounts

- vCards over SMS

- SMS Multiple Recipient improvements

- Save SMS to SIM

- One handed PPC folder navigation improvements

- WMP full screen video on all devices

- Equalizer

- Smart-type search

- Large number of preconfigured email providers (including GMail!)

:rolleyes:

P[/teaser]

aku3-5.gif

aku3-6.gif

aku3-7.gif

aku3-8.gif

aku3-9.gif

aku3-11.gif

aku3-12.gif

aku3-13.gif

aku3-mail1.gif

aku3-mail2.gif

aku3-mail3.gif

I really hope TMob manage to ship an update AKU3.0 ROM for the Vario II in a reasonable time period.

vCard by SMS, AT LAST!!!!!!

Any news on how the TV-Out is implemented Paul, what hardware is required, whether the Hermes can support this????? Or does external display refer to the exterior display on clamshells..............god, I hope not.

Edited by Dr Who

A sneak preview for you of the forthcoming Windows AKU3 Windows Mobile 5 update, live from Mobius Boston 2006.

Slides below, text to follow! :(

P

Woo-hoo....there's some neat looking stuff in there!! Any mention of synchronisation improvments - like being able to sync SMS messages with an Outlook folder on the desktop (a la Jeyo), or the ability to export them to an external format (CSV, TXT etc.)??? I've started playing with the Vista version of Activesync - is there any more on that? What about a new "remote control" option, like the horrendously clunky "ActiveSync Remote Display" - something so we can manage our devices from our desktop?

I'm liking the "SMS over GPRS" feature; might mean I can send SMS messages on New Year's Eve now :rolleyes: - just hope the networks see the positive side of it and put the technology in place

Keep it coming Paul....we're hungry for more!!!

Mark.

Edited by M@rkC

Guest Paul (MVP)

I did ask about the projector output, and MS claimed it wasn't a feature in AKU3 specifically...

Vista presentation now... should have some device centre pics for ya shortly!

P

With all these SMS improvements why did the not make the SMS return receipt function a bit better than what it is? :rolleyes:

Edited by AaronW

[teaser]

- Large number of preconfigured email providers (including GMail!)

[/teaser]

This can be customised by editing an csv in the windows directory. The network or OEM will chose the pop / imap services which are in the list.

Guest nickcornaglia

I like the coverage from Boston (and Thailand as well). Nice to see everything isn't under wraps. Cool new stuff coming! :rolleyes: How soon is always the question. More More More!

Guest Pagemakers

Personally, not many of these new features would improve my use of the device.

How about:

1) Non-training voice dial, al-la Nokia style

2) RSS Reader in OS or IE

3) 'Delete all' email option

4) Auto time update when roaming

5) Prevent email polling when roaming

??

If you select return receipt in WM5 you get a text back when it gets delivered. If you have return receipts on all the time this can get quite messy. With SonyEricsson when you select return receipt you get a nice tick beside the text message in your sent box. Much tidier.

I think for most people the chance to choose the operating language will be a plus on a ppc , something the smartphone has always had , it would mean if orange upgrade the m3000 the chance to finally change the language to english instead of the dutch which the phone i currently have, it would mean expats living abroad can finally have their own language on a unit bought in the country they live in :rolleyes:

Guest Leaskovski

Damn it! Can't they impliment audio to BT headsets (without the reg hack so its just a constant connection thus draining power)!? :rolleyes:

Edit: What i mean is when sound gets sent to the audio stack it then gets diverted to the bt audio stack.

Edited by Leaskovski

Personally, not many of these new features would improve my use of the device.

How about:

1) Non-training voice dial, al-la Nokia style

2) RSS Reader in OS or IE

3) 'Delete all' email option

4) Auto time update when roaming

5) Prevent email polling when roaming

Couldn't agree more although the equaliser in WMP 10 will be most welcome. My hit list would definitely have the auto time update. I believe its already available on other operating systems.

BTW will the upgrade be featured in ROM upgrades that we download for existing kit or will it be for brand new handsets only.??

And also...the recent ROM upgrade to Imate SP5 etc was supposed to have fixed the "UK busy signal",, it hasn't on mine. Anyone else found this???

forget pocket pc nerds how about smartphone aku3 for example tornado???????

Great Post.

Are we expecting a release date on this? And any ideas of ETA through uk suppliers?

Guest harrysaab

In messaging, there should be Search option as i have over 100 sms, wen i want to search for a sms, i have to go through 100sms to find it.

Guest Crispy
In messaging, there should be Search option as i have over 100 sms, wen i want to search for a sms, i have to go through 100sms to find it.

Yes, that's definitly something that should've been there ages ago. Many people have 500+ sms's. What about some ordering? Sms ordered by person, country, etc?

BTW will the upgrade be featured in ROM upgrades that we download for existing kit or will it be for brand new handsets only.??

Knowing the way things normally work I would be surprised if AKU3 is released for current devices. I really hope the day comes when we can update the OS ourselves direct from MS and outside of the carriers, as was hinted at before WM5 was released. Or at least have the option for those of us with unbranded devices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.