How to Hard Reset the Cingular 3125

Guest MadSci

My new Cingular 3125 went mental, wouldn't behave, or even boot. It kept getting stuck at a "Notification Error".

Removing the programs I installed did nothing to help. A hard reset was in order.

Only problem is, there isn't a published procedure for Hard Resetting the Cingular 3125 IF IT WON"T BOOT!!

The process I've seen written put here. pressing BOTH softkeys while turning on, then releasing when the screen starts up, along with various variations, accomplished nothing.

So, my advice, until there is a proceedure developed, get Sprite Backup, and be ready and willing to Hard Reset at early signs of trouble.

BTW, I was finally able to do a Hard Reset by pulling the battery out for 7 hours, then turning it on and using the

Start > Accessories > Clear Storage proceedure on Page 66 of the Cingular Manual.

Father and phone both doing well now. Thank you for asking.

Don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a non-bootable phone at this time.

So, "Hard Reset, Often and Early"

Does anyone else know another Hard Reset procedure that might work with a phone that can't complete the boot cycle?

MadSci

Guest paholman
My new Cingular 3125 went mental, wouldn't behave, or even boot. It kept getting stuck at a "Notification Error".

Removing the programs I installed did nothing to help. A hard reset was in order.

Only problem is, there isn't a published procedure for Hard Resetting the Cingular 3125 IF IT WON"T BOOT!!

The process I've seen written put here. pressing BOTH softkeys while turning on, then releasing when the screen starts up, along with various variations, accomplished nothing.

So, my advice, until there is a proceedure developed, get Sprite Backup, and be ready and willing to Hard Reset at early signs of trouble.

BTW, I was finally able to do a Hard Reset by pulling the battery out for 7 hours, then turning it on and using the

Start > Accessories > Clear Storage proceedure on Page 66 of the Cingular Manual.

Father and phone both doing well now. Thank you for asking.

Don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a non-bootable phone at this time.

So, "Hard Reset, Often and Early"

Does anyone else know another Hard Reset procedure that might work with a phone that can't complete the boot cycle?

MadSci

The procedure in this Forum does work althought it's fiddly.

You need to use both hands, and preferably put the phone on a hard flat surface.

With your left hand, press the two soft keys and hold them, with the right hand, press the power button for 2 seconds then release, but keeps the left hand down on the two soft keys. A black screen should then appear, with white text giving the option to press 0 to continue with a hard reset, or any other key to continue. It takes some getting used to, but once you've done it, it gets easier.

I completely agree, Sprite or other backup software is a must.

Playing with homescreens containing images within the plugin has crashed my phone no end of times now, and Sprites restore facility has been a gem. I tend to backup before I do any changes now.

CHeers

Guest freemans
The procedure in this Forum does work althought it's fiddly.

You need to use both hands, and preferably put the phone on a hard flat surface.

With your left hand, press the two soft keys and hold them, with the right hand, press the power button for 2 seconds then release, but keeps the left hand down on the two soft keys. A black screen should then appear, with white text giving the option to press 0 to continue with a hard reset, or any other key to continue. It takes some getting used to, but once you've done it, it gets easier.

I completely agree, Sprite or other backup software is a must.

Playing with homescreens containing images within the plugin has crashed my phone no end of times now, and Sprites restore facility has been a gem. I tend to backup before I do any changes now.

CHeers

Agreed, it wouldnt hurt to make regular upgradedata.sbu files so if in the event where you have to use a new (or replacement) device you can restore your backup with Sprite's device upgrade mode :rolleyes:

Guest MadSci
Agreed, it wouldnt hurt to make regular upgradedata.sbu files so if in the event where you have to use a new (or replacement) device you can restore your backup with Sprite's device upgrade mode :(

Good point! I've just been doing a regular backup as I just got the new WM5 verison. I hadn't thought of needing to the an 'Upgrade' backup in case of replacement. I just figured that I would install the previous Backup to the new phone if it was the same model as the current one. Of course, I have replaced 2 phones with newer models when they melted down in the past so I should have been more thoughtful.

Thanks for the tip! :rolleyes:

MadSci

Guest freemans
I hadn't thought of needing to the an 'Upgrade' backup in case of replacement.

MadSci

Yep thats what most ppl think but you still need the upgradedata.sbu to restore to a new device or ROM, even though they are the same model. In some cases you can restore without the .sbu file but there may be complications. Anyway it takes like 1sec to make the .sbu so it doesnt hurt to make one like once a month :rolleyes:

Guest singhnx

I've always just kept the programs that I'd installed on the phone in one location so that if I ever did a hard reset, I could just go through the steps of reinstalling them. :rolleyes:

I'll have to give Sprite Backup a try and see how I like this. Is there a trial version of the program or do I have to shell out the money before I get to try it out?