M3100 Bluetooth sync issues

Guest KRC

I've just installed a bluetooth dongle on the pc and both the pc can see the m3100 and vice versa, but I cant get the settings right to make active sync work through it.

I think is probably something to do with Com port settings but I dont seem to be able to get them to match

Has anyone been successful and if so how.

please

I've got it going, but the exact method depends on the software your dongle came with.

This is what I did with my Logitech dongle,

goto the local services tab

select "add serial device"

go through the process and name it Activesync, startup to auto, security required, and select a free virtual com port

Goto Activesync and open connection settings, check the allow connections on com portX and select the previous com port number

Goto the phone and browse services on you PC

You should see Activesync listed now, check the use box and then select connect via bluetooth on the phones copy of active sync.

That should get you going.

Art

Edited by artm

I've just installed a bluetooth dongle on the pc and both the pc can see the m3100 and vice versa, but I cant get the settings right to make active sync work through it.

I think is probably something to do with Com port settings but I dont seem to be able to get them to match

Has anyone been successful and if so how.

please

In the Control Panel, go to Bluetooth Devices.

Select the Com Ports tab

Click on Add

Select Incoming Device and click on OK - make a note of this COM Port

On the PC open AS > File > Connection Settings

Tick the box marked Allow serial cable or IR... and select the COM Port noted earlier

Click OK

Make sure BT Discovery is turned on on the PC

On the handset, tap Start > Programmes > AS > Menu > Connect via Bluetooth

On the Bluetooth AS popup tab yes

Tap New Partnership...

Allow the handset to search for devices. Select the PC by tapping on its name in the list, then tap on Next

Enter a passkey > next > match that passkey on the PC > Finish

On the handset you should now see a list of services offered by the computer, select Activesync > Finish

Tap on OK > tap on OK

To sync, Open AS on the handset > Menu > Connect via BT > et voila!

Guest Barcode
In the Control Panel, go to Bluetooth Devices. etc...

To sync, Open AS on the handset > Menu > Connect via BT > et voila!

This place is brilliant for the first time ever I have been able to sync via Bluetooh, excellent that frees another USB port on my PC. How did you ever work it out? I have tried several times with various phones and always failed. I never thought to open the virtual com port in AS.

This place is brilliant for the first time ever I have been able to sync via Bluetooh, excellent that frees another USB port on my PC. How did you ever work it out? I have tried several times with various phones and always failed. I never thought to open the virtual com port in AS.

It's my job to support this sort of stuff, so i have to know!

:rolleyes:

Guest mbriody

I'm still having trouble trying to follow this.

My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth devices in Control Panel but it has something called Bluetooth Local COM.

This has a whole list of com ports. I tried adding some as per the instructions but the options are different:

1. Create a virtual COM port for a client and

2. Create a virtual COM port for a Server

Each option allows me to assign a port number.

I've tried following the instructions using both com ports but I never get ActiveSync as a service offered from the laptop - all I get are Serial Port and Wireless Stereo.

Any ideas?

It's my job to support this sort of stuff, so i have to know!

:rolleyes:

Edited by mbriody

I'm still having trouble trying to follow this.

My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth devices in Control Panel but it has something called Bluetooth Local COM.

This has a whole list of com ports. I tried adding some as per the instructions but the options are different:

1. Create a virtual COM port for a client and

2. Create a virtual COM port for a Server

Each option allows me to assign a port number.

I've tried following the instructions using both com ports but I never get ActiveSync as a service offered from the laptop - all I get are Serial Port and Wireless Stereo.

Any ideas?

What BT software are you using?

Guest mbriody

Its a Dell laptop and the software came preinstalled.

It refers to Toshiba in the Help | About box but doesn't have any other name to identify it.

Device manager says I have a number of Toshiba BT Ports.

I'm going to check the Dell site for any updates.

What BT software are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
Its a Dell laptop and the software came preinstalled.

It refers to Toshiba in the Help | About box but doesn't have any other name to identify it.

Device manager says I have a number of Toshiba BT Ports.

I'm going to check the Dell site for any updates.

Did you ever get this working? I have the toshiba stack on my Sony vaio and I have the same problem, I never get a service called Activesync so the hermes doesn't initiate an activesync connection.

Guest mbriody

No I didn't, I gave up in the end.

I have never had much luck with BT so far on desktops or laptop, it has always been a nightmare to use. The problem as far as I can tell is with poor or incompatible drivers. Its just too much hassle.

Did you ever get this working? I have the toshiba stack on my Sony vaio and I have the same problem, I never get a service called Activesync so the hermes doesn't initiate an activesync connection.

No I didn't, I gave up in the end.

I have never had much luck with BT so far on desktops or laptop, it has always been a nightmare to use. The problem as far as I can tell is with poor or incompatible drivers. Its just too much hassle.

Just got it going. The problem is you need an up-to-date version of the Toshiba BT stack. Mine was available as an update for my Vaio. This made "Activesync" appear as a service instead of "Serial Port" and it all went swimmingly. Have to remember to switch off BT on the device after syncing, but really worth it to not have to carry the wire about.

Agree, BT has been an utter shambles, it was meant to make it easy to connect devices together but the software layer has been awful since the start.

Been following this thread after you guys mentioned the Toshiba BT Stack. I have been using Toshiba BT for a couple of years now sync'ing AS and my WM phones. Unfortunately with WM5 and upgrading the Toshiba stack a few times I haven't been able to get the 2 too chat.

I've just recently upgraded to the Tosh BT Stack v4 after the heads up from this thread there was one available. Still no joy... what sort of interface are you guys using? Is it Vaio/Dell custom interface or is it also supplied by Toshiba?