Is it possible to use as a modem for a Mac?

Guest wasagi

Hi there,

My first post here, I've done a little searching and not found the answer. I'll just point out i dont have a 3100 yet, but i should be ordering this coming week. I was just wondering if its possible to use the device as a modem for a mac, or if anyone has achieved this?

Thanks a lot in advance

Guest zoidster

I think it is possible - I remember seeting up my universal (mda pro / m5000 etc) to use as a BT modem on my macbook - but it was not a traightforward procedure , and there are a few things I had to do , these were (IIRC)

1) to add an IPAQ modem script

2) to set up an incoming BT port on the phone

& a few other seetings needed altering - it was definately not a straighforward proccess , there was an article on the net somewhere , and it was presented in a similar someone finding a cure for cancer :rolleyes: - looks like a lot of people had had trouble setting it up the "proper" way - but this guys soloution definately works

I'll try and dig out the article and post it up (I am pretty sure the same will apply m3100 so it should all work fine )

EDIT - Here it is

http://www.babilim.co.uk/blog/2006/02/htc-...0687500909.html

the one thing I would add (won't make any sense to you until you are familiar with the phone - but anyway .... )

Once you have set the thing up as described , don't activate "wireless modem" on the phone when you want to connect , simply disconnect GPRS (if it is connected ) and select "connect" on the Mac , and it will connect - if you start the modem on the phone it won't work

Good luck !

Edited by zoidster

Guest jasonbye

It's a bit convoluted to say the least, but possible....

This is how I've done it on Orange:

Under OSX 10.3.x you will need:

Ross Barkman's Modem Script

Under OSX 10.4.x you will also need:

OSX 10.3.2 Update

Pacifist

Download the 10.3.2 update and open using Pacifist. Extract the Bluetooth Serial Utility and put it in your Utilities folder. (This was dropped as part of 10.4, but is needed to set up the correct ports)

Put the scripts in the modem scripts folder (inside the library folder at the root of the hard drive)

Pair the phone using the standard Bluetooth setup in System Preferences.

In the Bluetooth Serial Utility create a new port. Call it whatever you like (eg. HTC ). Click the outgoing radio button and show in network checkbox. Set the device to your previously paired phone.

Go to the Network pane in Sys Prefs.

There will now be a new network port (HCT). Open this.

Under PPP enter a Service Provider (eg. HTC ORANGE) Accout= user Password= pass Telephone Number= *99# Click the save password checkbox. Click PPP options. Under the Advanced options uncheck the Send PPP echo packets and check Use TCP header compression. Click OK

Under Modem select Windows Mobile GSM 460k as your script. Uncheck error correction and wait for dial tone checkboxes. Set dialing to tone. Check the modem status in menu bar checkbox.

Click apply now.

On the 3100 you will need to open the WModem application and change the APN setting under Menu from internet to orangeinternet and ensure the preset GPRS checkbox is checked. Click done. Set the connection to Bluetooth.

Click the modem icon on the Mac's menubar and ensure the new service is ticked (HTC ORANGE) and click connect and you should be away. Seems not to matter if the WModems app is running or not.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest alexbookpro
Hi there,

My first post here, I've done a little searching and not found the answer. I'll just point out i dont have a 3100 yet, but i should be ordering this coming week. I was just wondering if its possible to use the device as a modem for a mac, or if anyone has achieved this?

Thanks a lot in advance

I have just been trying to find this out myself. I have found a guide on how to use it as a modem;

http://www.aralbalkan.com/765

I have had one problem with it though, it asks you to find the folder library/MOBILE, and I can't find it. If you do please tell me where!

Hope this helps.

ABP