Why is the WiFi so crap?

Guest mbriody

Got my Orange M3100 this week and so far the WiFi performance has been rubbish.

I manged to connect once after moving to within 10 feet of my router but since then, nothing, even if I stand right next to it.

I've tried all the suggestions I can find in the various forums but nothing helps.

It can see my network and my neighbour's but 99.9% of the time it refuses to connect. I tried a hard reset in case there was a software issue and it was just the same.

I also had the same thing at work with the wireless LAN there. My laptop can connect quite happily but the M3100 just keeps trying and failing.

The main reason I chose this handset was for WiFi but I'm beginning to think I've made a big mistake and should have gone for a Nokia.

Is there any chance a ROM upgrade would help? My current version numbers are:

Operator Version 14.123.1.614

ROM Version: 1.23.61.4

ROM date: 07/13/06

Radio Version: 1.06.00.00

Protocol Version 32.37.7010.01H

I have the same issue with my M3100. Sometimes works fine, other times I can be sitting on top of my router and it doesn't connect. I know it's the phone and not the router as I have other PC's in the house connected via wireless.

Thing is I see some people saying it works fine for them, that's why I was wondering about the ROM.

Anyone here having no problems with WiFi? If so what is your network and ROM version?

Same here, it was much better on the M5000.
Edited by mbriody

Guest richard_d
Thing is I see some people saying it works fine for them, that's why I was wondering about the ROM.

Anyone here having no problems with WiFi? If so what is your network and ROM version?

Works okay on my T-Mobile Vario II - it doesn't connect as easily as my laptop, but then I wouldn't expect it to.

Guest noodles-21
Works okay on my T-Mobile Vario II - it doesn't connect as easily as my laptop, but then I wouldn't expect it to.

Same here, I have no probs with the WiFi on my Vario 2.

My Vario sometimes doesn't connect to my LAN after switching from landscape back to portait. If I disable and re-enable it then connects. Not too much of a problem though and I can live with it.

no problems on my m3100 it connects ok but the signal is not as strong as my sp5 , this is due to the wireless g mode which maybe is faster if you have a more than 11mb internet connection but it has a shorter distance ( like am / fm on the radio ) i use wireless b 11meg and now i get full signal at the end of my garden where as the wireless g mode lost the signal :rolleyes:

I think the wifi chip in the M3100 is not as good as some other HTC devices. I had no problems connecting anywhere in my house with a M600, unlike the M3100 which struggled in my lounge and sun room. It would try to connect, but fluctuated every couple of seconds between a minimal wifi signal and zero signal.

I ugraded my wirless router and this has enabled my to us the M3100 anywhere in the house, just as I did with the M600.

Am on my second vario II changed due to screen alignment issue however both vario never have had wifi problems, sometimes it takes a couple attempts to connect but never drops the connection.

Am using a netgear router with out ssid boardcast, wep, and MAC address lock down also dont know if this is relevant but its has a static internal ip.

When setting up you have to boardcast your ssid once so it picks it up.

I have also tested this on a linksys and a belkin router all fine.

The model I had before was a 632 now have a 634 also I use channel 11.

My tytn works flawlessly with my Draytek router with a fixed ip and mixed b/g. Connects in a couple of seconds and a strong signal all over the house. Its a bit hard on the battery though..

Rob