Messenger & WiFi Security!

Guest MattChan

Guest MattChan

If I use my M600 to connect to the MSN Messenger network, is it secure?

If there is a Packet Sniffer at the access point running, is my password in Plain text, or encrypted?

I am very security concious, and if my password is in plain text, I shall not be using the Messenger service on my Mobile Device unless I DESPERATELY need to :rolleyes:

I hope someone can answer my query,

Kind Regards,

Matt.

EDIT:

Also, same goes for any internet traffic, like logging into hotmail!! Any info would be greaty appreciated!

Guest AlanJC

If your connection to the access point uses WEP or WPA, then yes, it will be encrypted, so you could not intercept it with a packet sniffer. If they are on the same network as you, then things sent in plain text could in theory be intercepted, but it depends if the access point uses wireless isolation, which means although you are all sharing the same internet connection, and on the same network, you can not communicate with any of the other wireless devices.

Hardly any public access points use encryption though, so it's always going to be a risk. I believe chats themselves are encrypted though, but not 100% sure on this.

Unless you setup a VPN to your PC at home for instance, and use that connection, then it will not be secure.