Email client & GMail SMTP

Guest pikeynet

Guest pikeynet

Hello,

I have an MDA Vario II with the standard Pocket PC software with the standard email client.

I want to use this to download (POP3 - no problem) and sent emails through my GMAIL account. The problem is that GMAIL's SMTP server requires SSL on a certain port... and this email client does not allow me to specify a port.

I can't see a Pocket PC upgrade for this, or a specific GMail utility. Would I be best off seeking another client? If so, can anyone recommend (or has anyone got it working on Gmail with this client)?

Thanks

Hello,

I have an MDA Vario II with the standard Pocket PC software with the standard email client.

I want to use this to download (POP3 - no problem) and sent emails through my GMAIL account. The problem is that GMAIL's SMTP server requires SSL on a certain port... and this email client does not allow me to specify a port.

I can't see a Pocket PC upgrade for this, or a specific GMail utility. Would I be best off seeking another client? If so, can anyone recommend (or has anyone got it working on Gmail with this client)?

Thanks

I too had some problems with this - but I did get it to work in the end - here is my settings

POP3 - pop.googlemail.com:995 ( please note the : and the port number of 995 - incoming mail)

SMTP - smtp.googlemail.com (now I did have an issue when I had the port number :587 after the .com so I took it off but TMobile might need it in ( I am on orange) )

tick the require SLL connection in the options box and put your gmail account details in the outgoing settings box too.

this works really well for me both on wi-fi and on gprs/3g - when I had the port number of 587 int he smtp it only seems to send via my wi-fi connection at home.

Hope this help

Peter

Guest pikeynet
I too had some problems with this - but I did get it to work in the end - here is my settings

POP3 - pop.googlemail.com:995 ( please note the : and the port number of 995 - incoming mail)

SMTP - smtp.googlemail.com (now I did have an issue when I had the port number :587 after the .com so I took it off but TMobile might need it in ( I am on orange) )

tick the require SLL connection in the options box and put your gmail account details in the outgoing settings box too.

this works really well for me both on wi-fi and on gprs/3g - when I had the port number of 587 int he smtp it only seems to send via my wi-fi connection at home.

Hope this help

Peter

Thanks Peter - that's just what I needed.

I placed the :587 at the end of the smtp address and it went straight through.

Tried it on the 3G (T-mobile) and on WiFi and it works.

Cheers,

Ben