The official Vodafone Palm Treo 750v 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

In the next day or so, I will be posting my review of the Vodafone Palm Treo 750v Pocket PC. :(

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything all all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

This is a new idea, and i'm going to try and do this for every new device I get... so bear with me :rolleyes:

Enjoy! :)

P

750v-front.jpg750v-back.jpg

750v-frontlogo.jpg750v-logo.jpg

750v-keyboard.jpg750v-logokeyboard.jpg

750v-front.jpg750v-back.jpg

750v-left.jpg750v-right.jpg

750v-silentswitch.jpg750v-connector.jpg

750v-withhermesfront.jpg750v-withhermesback.jpg

Guest smeg36

I have the Treo 700wx, which is very similar to the 750v with just slight hardware and software differences. Coming from an owner of the 700wx, the software differences are the most interesting to me. How do you like threaded SMS? Every Treo owner coming from a Palm OS Treo to a Treo 700wx complains that it doesn't have threaded SMS. I've never used it, so I don't really care about not having it. Am I missing out? Secondly, how is the A2DP? The 700wx also lacks A2DP, a feature which I've enjoyed on past devices but found to be buggy at times. I'm hoping, along with may US Treo owners, that the A2DP and threaded SMS can be hacked out of the 750v and put on our 700wx. Only time will tell.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I have the Treo 700wx, which is very similar to the 750v with just slight hardware and software differences. Coming from an owner of the 700wx, the software differences are the most interesting to me. How do you like threaded SMS? Every Treo owner coming from a Palm OS Treo to a Treo 700wx complains that it doesn't have threaded SMS. I've never used it, so I don't really care about not having it. Am I missing out? Secondly, how is the A2DP? The 700wx also lacks A2DP, a feature which I've enjoyed on past devices but found to be buggy at times. I'm hoping, along with may US Treo owners, that the A2DP and threaded SMS can be hacked out of the 750v and put on our 700wx. Only time will tell.

You're right, the software differences are the most interesting.

The threaded SMS is very cool (well, the SMS / MMS client as a whole). I like it a lot!

The Messaging client definitely could be hacked out (illegal to do so and install on other devices of course), that's unlikely to be possible with A2DP!

P

Guest bennish

Every photo of this thing seems to be a different shade of blue or grey. Which is it? Is it available in grey?? (like the 700).

Are you pleased with the battery life paul?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Every photo of this thing seems to be a different shade of blue or grey. Which is it? Is it available in grey?? (like the 700).

It's a metallic blue colour, best seen in this picture:

750v-logo.jpg

Are you pleased with the battery life paul?

Too early to say. I'm OK with my Hermes battery life tho, so i'm obviously easily pleased :rolleyes:

P

The following two things I hope that it will be covered on your review:

1. The CPU performance - This is the one using the Samsung 300mhz. It would be great if you can compare to the Intel 416mhz cpu and the treo 700wx.

2. Battery life - This model is using a slim battery.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, :rolleyes:

Galen

Guest smeg36

Just for clarification, the 700wx has a 312Mhz Intel processor. But it feels faster than any other device I've owned, so processor speed isn't everything. I'm also interested to hear how the Samsung processor handles. One of the things I'm most impressed about with the 700wx is the snappy response. I hope the 750v is the same.

Guest smeg36

I thought of another question. How's the signal compared to other WM phones? I've been wondering if having the antenna internal, as opposed to the ugly external antenna Palm insists on having for the US Treos, has had a negative effect on signal. I personally would be willing to put up with a slightly worse signal for the internal antenna, but the Palm antenna is probably one of the best looking (if that is possible) external antennas I've seen.

Guest stripeycat

Do you by any chance have any info on whether this handset will be coming to any other networks? i'm praying that Orange pull their finger out and release one, because if it is only vodafone getting it i'm going to hate missing out...

heard that there might be a Palm OS version on Orange soon but i never can tell with all of the speculation on the web these days.

Guest irvsys

Hi Paul,

I have 2 questions on this phone as I agonize over this one or the Vario II.

(1) Does it have the power to run Skype? (Even just the IM feature of skype - not voice)

(2) Does it charge from a USB connection or do you need a full mains charger?

cheers

Bob

1. Does slingplayer mobile work on the device? How is the streaming speed?

2. What are the true data costs of owning this device? (If I used the slingbox, would I go into debt?)

3. How fast is the data? (see #1)

4. Can you easily use a calling card (i.e. freephone or yourcall to make international calls).

Guest Paul (MVP)

In response to some of the previous questions...

- No it doesn't charge from USB :rolleyes:

- Review coming very soon, honest!

- No, I wouldn't swap my hermes for it.

P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bdoviack

Hi Paul,

Like many here I'm still on the fence between a Treo 750 and the Orange M3100.

Obviously the M3100 has more features and power but many reviewers are saying that the Treo 750 just feels better in the hand and has the "just feels right" factor.

Can we hear your opinion on the matter? Do you find yourself wanting to use one device more than the other? Have you come across any major turn-offs from either device? It seems like you were initially using the M3100 as your primary/preferred device so has anything changed in the past few days/week(s)?

Thanks again for opinions.

Guest viva nyc

Has ANYONE thats on T-Mobile gotten their MMS settings to work?

I have tried several different manual settings in an effort to allow MMSing however nothing does the trick. All other forms of data communications work without a problem.

Currently, I have aquired what I believe to be all the necessary information in order to send T-Mobile USA MMSs and I've entered them manually in the message -> options area:

Message Center Number: +12063130004

Email Center Number: 500

MMS Gateway address: 216.155.165.050

MMS URL: http://216.155.165.050/servlets/mms

Network Profile: Default

Some people have stated they were unable to get these settings to stay after restarting their phone. I am not experiencing that problem. The closest I can get to reproducing that error is that when i turn off the cell capabilities, the Message Center Number disappears. However the correct number reappears when I turn the cell functions back on.

Guest surfnsnack

i am a confused vodafone 750v owner......

yesterday it talked to me - NO REALLY!!

A calander reminder popped up, and as i fumbled to turn off key lock and dismiss the reminder it read out the reminder to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i`m not making this up, and i have a witness.

i have tried to reproduce this - but so far have had no luck.

any ideas ?

by the by,

how come when i press any of the volume keys the battery status comes up. it is now impossible to change volume.

i have a vodafone 750v with pocketbreeze, and spb pocket plus installed.

Oh - for anyone interested - the signal strength is cr@p, My qtek 8500 is far superior.

Oh - for anyone interested - the signal strength is cr@p, My qtek 8500 is far superior.

That's a shame. I have an 8500 too and was hoping the Palm would be better...

Review..? :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.