The official Samsung i320 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

In the next day or so, I will be posting my review of the Samsung i320 Smartphone. :(

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything all all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

This is a new idea, and i'm going to try and do this for every new device I get... so bear with me :rolleyes:

Enjoy! :)

P

i320-front.jpgi320-back.jpg

i320-keyboard.jpgi320-pad.jpg

i320-left.jpgi320-right.jpg

i320-top.jpg

i320-with750v.jpg

Paul,

Have you been able to find any accessories for this device...i have had mine for about a month and it's only now that a screen protector and slip over case have become available via ebay - in that time i have managed to scratch mine something rotten!

Also do you know how to turn that annoying beep off when you make a call?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've not looked for accessories yet... to turn off that beep:

Start -> Settings -> Phone -> Extra Tones -> Connect Tone -> Disable

HTH :rolleyes:

P

Guest nickcornaglia

How does it feel compare to a Q? More/Less solid...cheap?

Which would you prefer between the two. (if the GSM Q were released).

How easy is it to dial with the dual keys?

Guest jcjdoss

I Have owned a 8125. Loved the functionality hated the size and touchscreen keypad. I now have a 2125 and love the size (pocketable) but it lacks features. Do you think the Samsung i320 is a good balance of the two.

Give this thread a digg.... Digg it

Edited by jcjdoss

Guest rkrishnamurthy

The most important thing i want to know about is, how is the battery life? i owned a i300X for a while it had a terrible battery life and the proprietary connection port over the standard mini usb added salt to my wound.

i know i300X had a hard disk inside and this one doesn't have one but based on the spec its uses a very fast intel processor. i want to know whether its also a power hungry like i300X. Paul can you comment on the battery life?

Thank you

Guest kl1wdr
The most important thing i want to know about is, how is the battery life?

I can answer this question for you:

The battery is not at all compareable to the HTC Excalibur's battery. The Samsung lasts about 1 day in average usage. It does not even come close the the Excalibur. :rolleyes:

Guest Paul (MVP)
How does it feel compare to a Q? More/Less solid...cheap?

Not at all, it feels very well made. In fact, when I hold it with the Q, in some ways it feels even better!

Which would you prefer between the two. (if the GSM Q were released).

Tough call... but all other things being equal, I think I prefer the i320 atm :rolleyes:

How easy is it to dial with the dual keys?

A piece of cake - the dual keys work very well, a neat touch!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I Have owned a 8125. Loved the functionality hated the size and touchscreen keypad. I now have a 2125 and love the size (pocketable) but it lacks features. Do you think the Samsung i320 is a good balance of the two.

Yes, I think so.

The battery life isn't stellar due to the tiny size, but it's acceptable for me (runs a full day OK with push email on), so you'll have to appraise your battery life requirements... but size wise it's definitely a winner.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
The most important thing i want to know about is, how is the battery life? i owned a i300X for a while it had a terrible battery life and the proprietary connection port over the standard mini usb added salt to my wound.

i know i300X had a hard disk inside and this one doesn't have one but based on the spec its uses a very fast intel processor. i want to know whether its also a power hungry like i300X. Paul can you comment on the battery life?

I'll have a better idea of battery life as I use it a bit more in anger, but with my i300, it couldn't run a day on standby... so it's leagues ahead of that :rolleyes:

P

I've not looked for accessories yet... to turn off that beep:

Start -> Settings -> Phone -> Extra Tones -> Connect Tone -> Disable

HTH :rolleyes:

P

Hmmm...this doesn't seem to work for me - i still get the beep when i press the green call button?

Paul, do you expect to get the Excalibur in for review? I love the dimensions of my i320 but if the Excalibur feels small in the hand and the slower processor does the job i might drop this samsung.

By the way, i'm liking the 'ask paul' threads...the best thing to come out of modaco for a long time! :(

Guest karlossus

Paul,

I've seen mention of an extended battery in some FCC filing. I can't find any details of it anywhere. Do you have any idea if an extended battery might actually materialise?

I love the phone. I think it has an excellent build quality, the camera is excellent for a WM device as is the screen. Everything is great bar the battery life, which isn't anymore than an annoyance.

I wonder if the SGH-i600 will fare any better battery wise.....

Guest Paul (MVP)
Have you held a Treo 750 in hand? If so, which do you think is more intuitive to use. Or simply put...which is better

I have both here atm... which is better is a difficult one.

I'll try and answer that once i've reviewed both!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hmmm...this doesn't seem to work for me - i still get the beep when i press the green call button?

Doh, you're right, i'll look into it further!

Paul, do you expect to get the Excalibur in for review? I love the dimensions of my i320 but if the Excalibur feels small in the hand and the slower processor does the job i might drop this samsung.

I've used an Excalibur already, but yes, I will be getting one in review.

It feels quite small (obviously bigger than the i320), performance seems OK, but I still think it's ugly :)

By the way, i'm liking the 'ask paul' threads...the best thing to come out of modaco for a long time! :rolleyes:

Not sure if that's a complement or an insult :(

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hmmm...this doesn't seem to work for me - i still get the beep when i press the green call button

Here's the fix...

- Download a registry editor (e.g. PHM Regedit (FREE) or the excellent Resco Explorer with registry addin (free to MoDaCo Plus members, available from http://www.Resco.net).

- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sounds

- Rename the 'Dialing' key to 'Dialing.old'

Hey presto, sorted :rolleyes:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I've seen mention of an extended battery in some FCC filing. I can't find any details of it anywhere. Do you have any idea if an extended battery might actually materialise?

I've not seen one yet... just the additional battery in the box with the funky charger.

I love the phone. I think it has an excellent build quality, the camera is excellent for a WM device as is the screen. Everything is great bar the battery life, which isn't anymore than an annoyance.

Agreed!

I wonder if the SGH-i600 will fare any better battery wise.....

I'm really looking forward to the i600 now! :rolleyes:

P

Guest jcjdoss
I have both here atm... which is better is a difficult one.

I'll try and answer that once i've reviewed both!

P

Great thanks. I know it really is a loaded question considering one is a PPC and one is a smartphone. But I figured if anyone could break it down, Paul can. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to the i600 now! :(

P

Not meaning to hijack this topic but any info on a possible release date for the i600. Can't find anything anywhere :rolleyes:

If the i600 wan't on the way I'd definatly consider the i320 although any reviews I've read really knock the battery life.....

thanks

gr

Hi Paul,

Do you know when this device will be released in the Netherlands? The dutch suppliers were forecasting a launch in week 39, but were already in week 40 and the Samsung is still not released.

Its not a question about the device, but worth the shot to ask you this question.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.