The official Samsung i320 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Doh, you're right, i'll look into it further!

I've used an Excalibur already, but yes, I will be getting one in review.

It feels quite small (obviously bigger than the i320), performance seems OK, but I still think it's ugly :(

Not sure if that's a complement or an insult :rolleyes:

P

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go!

LOL...the last comment was meant as a compliment mate! I've said in the past that i felt the site wasn't my first port of call for new info - these kind of threads will change that for sure.

BTW Are now doing this full time?

I tested that reg tweak on my i320 btw, and it got rid of the tone you were talking about.

P

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go later on and report back.

Goodluck with it all, hope it takes off for you...you're a brave man and i admire you for it!

Guest MadSci

Even with my new StarTrK I am lusting for this phone!

Two questions: How well does it handle large Contacts database (say ~2400 Contacts or so), and can it access email via a VPN?

Thanks in advance!

MadSci

Guest Paul (MVP)
Even with my new StarTrK I am lusting for this phone!

Two questions: How well does it handle large Contacts database (say ~2400 Contacts or so), and can it access email via a VPN?

Thanks in advance!

MadSci

The capabilities in both areas are in line with the StrTrk.

P

Hey Paul,

Was wondering if you had managed to get the Opera Mini web browser to work on the i320? There doesn't appear to be any midlet manager application so i haven't been able to load it!

Should be getting my screen protector in the next few days so will let you know how it fits...

I have given in and ordered one anyway, but I have some questions:

1) Does this support new modem connection method, does it have something special or it is the usual MS connection?

2) Does the landscape display cause any problems with 3P apps. I am especially thinking tomtom5/6 which I don't think is officially supported but would be interesting to see what happens. Any other known proiblems woudl be useful too.

3)Can't seem to see in the user manual but does it charge from the PC cable??>>>Can answer this and it does charge.

4) Let me know if you get MMS set up OK, it is driving me nuts at the moment but I am sure I have just missed something stupid (VodaUK settings)

Cheers

n

Edited by neilg

Guest rklosinski
I have given in and ordered one anyway, but I have some questions:

1) Does this support new modem connection method, does it have something special or it is the usual MS connection?

2) Does the landscape display cause any problems with 3P apps. I am especially thinking tomtom5/6 which I don't think is officially supported but would be interesting to see what happens. Any other known proiblems woudl be useful too.

3)Can't seem to see in the user manual but does it charge from the PC cable??>>>Can answer this and it does charge.

4) Let me know if you get MMS set up OK, it is driving me nuts at the moment but I am sure I have just missed something stupid (VodaUK settings)

Cheers

n

1) I dont know what a 'new modem connection' is, but I can connect to the internet with my laptop using bluetooth or a cable.

2) Have not tried tomtom, but mapolopis works fine. Most apps for the Mot Q will work fine, and Mapoloplis is written to work with it.

3) Mine charges when connected to the PC.

4) Cant help.. im on Cingular and beside, I dont use MMS.

Rich

thanks rich,

if anyone else can help with the mms it is appreciated - unlike every other smartphone i have used the samsung MMS client doesn't seem to have a way of selecting/linking the connection you have set up in connection manager. Unfortunately I nuked all the non-voda mms settgins before i worked out how they worked and I have now customised the device enough that I don;t want to have to do a factory reset to get them back!

--update, gave up and did a factory reset, got it working by keeping the default settings that came on the device but just editing the contents of them to reflect my settings - not pretty but it works!!--

Edited by neilg

• 2 weeks later...
There doesn't appear to be any midlet manager application so i haven't been able to load it!

does that mean you can't run any JAVA based software? :rolleyes:

That would be shame for a "Smart"phone

i think there might be somethign built into the OS but here is no visible midlet manager - I am still trying to find something....... as you say although the MS browser is OK, the operamini is great so woudl be nice to be able to use it....

Is there a possibility to shut off the shutdown sound? It's really annoying because it's so loud.

And these camera shutter sounds too, there are three of them and they all suck.

Can anybody help me?

Hello Paul,

Are you still planning to do a review of the Samsung i320? I'm particularly interested in the battery life as compared to the HTC S620. I know the S620 life is better, but is the Samsung's battery that bad?

How do you compare the two now that you've used them?

Thanks,

Loukas

Guest jcjdoss
Hello Paul,

Are you still planning to do a review of the Samsung i320? I'm particularly interested in the battery life as compared to the HTC S620. I know the S620 life is better, but is the Samsung's battery that bad?

Thanks,

Loukas

I can speak from the S620/Dash point of view. The battery isn't just good, it is pretty incredible. Just this morning I unplugged my Dash, I am still on Full, moderate calls, lots of play, moderate wifi

My 8125/wizard would've been just about to drop to one bar by this point.

No regrets on this phone....YET

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hello Paul,

Thanks,

Loukas

Yup, priorities are bumping around a bit atm due to an influx of devices, but you can expect to see a Treo 750v, Samsung i320 and HTC P3300 reviews from me this week, all being well!

P

Guest willieturnip

it looks REALLY bad...and the screen looks tiny...and the rest of it looks huge...(comparably to my m600)

is this the case?...or am i being delusional?

Guest spacerace
Having used the device, it's actually quite a bit smaller then an M600. But, of course, being a Smartphone it should be.

I had both the i320 and the HTC S620 side by side in a shop, and held them. It's suprising how small they both are, and also how the S620 which has larger dimensions and _looks_ bigger in phoots actually doens't feel that much bigger at all !

Unfortunately no Dash for me, but the Samsung is a great phone. The battery is not great but I use it as a business phone and I am on the phone for several hours a day as well as constant push email and it just abouut lasts. It gets to 1 bar on the power meter really quickly but then seems to last forever after that. I will admit to plugging it into the USB charger during the day at times, but then I have always done this with all devices so I don't really notice the difference - I never leave the office and travel without a USB lead so there is always some power available. (I tend to take a PC and charge everythign off USB to save carrying a bag full of adaptors!)

I keep the spare battery as I have started using the device for music and movies, and obviously the backlight does kill the battery if you are watching a movie.

The best thing for me after several HTC devices is small differences in things like the MMS client (it finally seems to work well in an integrated manner), the camera app (not fantastic but much better than any of the HTC or MS ones I have ever used) and other accessories. Shame about the lack of Java, and if you can wait for a bit longer then maybe the i600/607 with UMTS/HSDPA and 802.11b/g might be worth the extra few weeks. I am likely to upgrade once they are available and I think they are bundled with other useful apps like a business card scanner etc.

Guest ArtyCarl

I have just switched from a SE M600i to a Samsung SGH i320. I love smartphones but I tend to change phones every few weeks which drives the other half mad.

I really liked the size of the M600i and as a phone/smartphone it was right up there with the most satisfying convergence devices I have tried. Unfortunately the lack of a camera and limited software meant I was looking to change quite swiftly.

Today my i320 arrived and at first I really disliked it. Something about the graduating blue/black border top and bottom made the screen look like it was bowing in the middle which was a little off-putting but as the day has gone on it has grown on me. It slides so easily into my pocket and as time has gone by the pocketability of devices has become more important to me.

Its a Windows 5.0 Smartphone with a nice screen (not spectacular) with a decent amount of onboard memory and a very slim form factor.

Its not THE one, but will keep me busy for a few weeks until something else catches my eye.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Between you and me - yes, i'm somewhat smitten!

I used a preproduction Excalibur a while ago and was unimpressed, but not so with the S620.

Put it this way, i'm about to buy a Dash of my own on eBay ;-)

P (from the S620!)

Guest jcjdoss
Between you and me - yes, i'm somewhat smitten!

I used a preproduction Excalibur a while ago and was unimpressed, but not so with the S620.

Put it this way, i'm about to buy a Dash of my own on eBay ;-)

P (from the S620!)

WooHoo, Now I have an Excalibur buddy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.