Now online: Paul Reviews... The Virgin Mobile Lobster 700

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
lobstersmall.png

I'm pleased to announce that my Virgin Mobile Lobster 700 review is now online.

Click Here to read the review in full, and don't forget to also check out the Lobster 700 'Ask Paul' feature. I'm particularly interested in hearing from fellow Lobster owners... have you had a similar experience to me, particularly with the keypad? Have your say! :rolleyes:

Here's a few images and quotes from the review for you :(

Virgin Mobile are definitely late to the 'Windows Mobile Party'... but it looks like they plan to make up for lost time with the launch of their new 'Lobster 700' device, which focuses on providing a Mobile TV and Radio experience.

The platform that underpins the Mobile TV offering is a 'DAB-IP' platform provided by BT and named 'Movio'. The system uses the DAB Digital Radio system to deliver both DAB Radio and Live TV, with added features such as a 7 day TV guide and interactive 'red button' functionality, which will be familiar to those readers using Digital TV already.

It's interesting to note that the device features a TI OMAP 750 processor, whereas Tornado based devices such as the SPV C600, i-mate SP5 etc. use the newer 850 variant. That said, in use the device feels snappy... definitely helped in no small part by the generous 128MB ROM.

As you can see, the microSD slot is under the battery, and in fact under the SIM. Once you've got it in there, you don't want to be taking it out too often :)

From the TV guide page, a simple tap of the soft key brings up the Radio Guide, which looks very similar. It lists all of the available Digital Radio stations (25 where I live), together with information about what is currently playing if it is available. Again, a quick click of the pad launches the selected station.

When listening to the radio, there are some nice features, such as radio stations broadcasting the track title / artist and other information that are then in turn displayed on the device screen.

So, to the conclusion... and this is a really hard one to write. As I mentioned previously, I have been really excited about the Lobster 700 for a while (as I know many people have), and I headed out as soon as I heard it was available and picked up a unit.

lobstertv1.jpglobstertv2.jpglobstertv3.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.