HTC Trinity coming to Orange as the M700

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Do you remember the HTC Trinity? That's the sexy white one... (think HTC Hermes 'sans keyboard').

Well, Mobinaute are reporting that the device is to hit Orange as the SPV M700, while Engadget Mobile are reporting that the device contains a GPS chipset, disabled in the current software build until HTC can get it working properly alongside the dual chip 3G radio!

I figured now would be a good time to run through what we know about the M700!

The specs...

- Size: 58.2 x 108 x 18.4 millimetres (width x height x depth)

- Weight: 143g

- CPU:Samsung S3C2442 @ 400MHz

- ROM: 128MB

- RAM: 64MB

- Screen: 2.8" 240x320 65k colourscolor transflective TFT PDAdb.net

- Expansion: miniSD

- Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g

- Radio: Quad band GSM / Tri Band UMTS inc HSDPA

- Camera: 2MP

The look (courtesy of Mobinaute)...

post-1-1160040506_thumb.png

What else?

So here's what else we can glean from other reports floating around t'web...

• The HTC Trinity is slated for a November launch on Orange as the M700, although the actual territories that it will ship in is yet to be confirmed. Well, in fact, Orange aren't even admitting the devices exists to me, despite the pics above :rolleyes:

• As you can see, the Orange variant is due to ship in funky MoDaCo-phone-esque Ice White, but other operators will be offering a gloss black version too.

• According to this Engadget Mobile article, the Trinity includes GPS, but it is disabled at launch due to compatability issues with the radio chipset. This both makes sense (I had heard this device was GPS enabled), and is a bit odd, as it makes you wonder why anyone would buy the HTC Artemis (another GPS enabled PPC, but without UMTS, and with a 200MHz TI OMAP processor).

• As you can see from the picture above, in France at least, the M700 is expected to ship with 'Orange Navigation'. The Orange Navigation solution has been in development for many years (I first used it on a C500!), and is what is known as an 'offboard' navigation solution. This means that the application itself is a small download, and all the maps etc. are held remotely on Orange servers. Each time you request a route, it is generated on Orange servers and sent OTA. Good for getting the latest map updates into your nav solution, bad from a cost point of view (generally pay-per-hit).

I think that's about it! I'm sure that further information will trickle out as the device nears launch time... so watch this space :(

P

Guest Pondrew

Extremely cool looking device although puzzled at the suggestion of a disabled gps chipset being included. What's the point in manufacturing this model if the chips won't work together? Isn't that like going to market with a failed product?!

Out of curiousity, which gps chipset is it?

Finally, Paul, you said tri band EDGE including HSDPA. Guessing you meant UTMS?

Guest fluffcat1
Extremely cool looking device although puzzled at the suggestion of a disabled gps chipset being included. What's the point in manufacturing this model if the chips won't work together? Isn't that like going to market with a failed product?!

Out of curiousity, which gps chipset is it?

If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be one from this lot:

http://www.globallocate.com/

They already supply the onboard GPS to the HTC manufactured iPaq hw651X and hw691X, do a lot of E911 GPS locators for the US market as well as A-GPS for 3g PDA's such as the motorola A1000.

A-GPS is 'assisted' GPS and not quite the same - based on cell tower locators in use in the US. There were no applications I knew of that used it for the A1000 in the UK and the latest version of the technology uses both cell tower A-GPS and satellite GPS to provide indoor use where no satellite signal is being received.

http://www.globallocate.com/A-GPS/A-GPS_Frameset.htm

They bring out regular updates and knowing the stock market problems nokia has if it announces a handset then delays launch it may be that once announced the wheels are in motion regardless. But this handset hasn't been 'announced' yet has it? It's been scooped?...

I wouldn't call it a failed product as such. More a not-fully-featured-yet product ;-)

Richard

Finally, Paul, you said tri band EDGE including HSDPA. Guessing you meant UTMS?

....and at the risk of being ever-so-slightly pedantic, Pondrew probably meant UMTS :( :rolleyes:

I might (am) just be getting old, but that handset is really cheap looking with that overly shiny white case (though I expect there'll be a pink version that my daughter would give her right arm for :sigh: )....what happened to the ultra-cool brushed aluminium look or the various shades of graphite grey....

There's nothing very much to get excited about, IMHO.....

Mark.

Guest peekie

The M700 is due for release here in holland this month along with all the other phones F600,C100 and the excaluber ala orange ,this is as long as they can get the phones through customs .There are at present only a few C600 phones left and a huge waiting list.So the M700 will be apearing in holland as in france,the 2 countrys that did not get the M3100 could be the uk will miss out on this phone :rolleyes:

The M700 is due for release here in holland this month [..]

That would be nice, if they do release it this month and in adequate numbers :rolleyes: It just might get me to go back to orange again..

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.