HTC Herald Unveiled

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

herald_small.jpg

Up to this point all we've heard are rumours and speculation about the HTC Herald but now we finally have something concrete-ish!

SoloPalmari have snagged some shots of the Herald but with their alledged specs, haven't really confirmed that this device is basically the 18mm thick Heremes we were all expecting...

• Mobile Windows 5.0
  • TIOMAP850 200 MHz CPU
  • RAM 64 MB - ROM 128 MB
  • QVGA
  • miniSD
  • 18mm thick!

[/teaser]

herald_1.JPGherald_2.JPG

herald_3.JPG

After re-reading their article, it seems as though their specs are based on assumptions. I believe that we'll see this device with the following specs:

• SC32442A Samsung 400Mhz CPU
    • microSD
    • 2MP Camera
    • 802.11g Wifi
    • Quadband with EDGE (not 3G/HSDPA)
    • Why? Well, it would follow the trend. Check out my guide to hot new devices to find out more. Of course they could be right and so could I. HTC have been known to make variations of the same device with different specs. However, it looks like for now, this devices is nothing more than a pimped up Wizard!

Check out what SoloPalmari have to say HERE.

via [Engadget]

Guest Paul (MVP)

Now that's pretty slick... question is would I give up the CPU speed and 3G of my Hermes for the reduction in size?

Probably!

:rolleyes:

P

Guest Damiantmc

Hell no would i give up my hermes for that!

I've only had my nice shiny Vario 2 for a week, but i had the vario for about 7 months before it and well, although it is only 18mm thick, I wouldn't give up my 2 for it, just to far back, even if it is thinner i want to move FORWARD and THINNER now, hermes specs in that size and I would be interseted :rolleyes:

DTMc

Guest Stuart_f

Paul, can you 100% confirm it won't have 3G?

From the websites i've seen there seems to be some disagreement on this. Also bit confunsed that it seems to have miniSD. Hermes had microSD because there "wasn't space to fit anything bigger" now that there's a smaller device there suddenly room for miniSD again? This can't be right!

Edited by Stuart_f

Hmm... If the specs are correct, why is this being billed as a slim "Hermes"?

200Mhz OMAP - not 400Mhz Samsung

MiniSD - not MicroSD

GPRS - not 3G

6 front panel buttons - not 8

No scroll wheel?

Surely that makes it little more than a repackaged Wizard?

Edited by Metoo

Guest The Doctor
Hmm... If the specs are correct, why is this being billed as a slim "Hermes"?

200Mhz OMAP - not 400Mhz Samsung

MiniSD - not MicroSD

GPRS - not 3G

6 front panel buttons - not 8

No scroll wheel?

Surely that makes it little more than a repackaged Wizard?

Thought that when i read the spec.... seems like its just the same as the wizard except its been to weight-watchers a few times :rolleyes:

Phil

[EDIT: However the new Orange SPV M700 is basically the Hermes in a prophet case...... except they've crammed GPS in there as well :(]

[EDIT 2: NOW it looks more like a HTC hermes featurewise following nedge2k's editing :)]

Edited by The Doctor

After re-reading their article, it seems as though their specs are based on assumptions. I believe that we'll see this device with the following specs:
  • SC32442A Samsung 400Mhz CPU
  • microSD
  • 2MP Camera
  • 802.11g Wifi
  • Quadband with EDGE (not 3G/HSDPA)

Happy to meet you, guys. :rolleyes:

The specs posted on SP are real for the prototype in the shots, but for sure (as happened with Hermes) can change in the commercial release of the device. Especially the CPU (TI OMAP -> Samsung SC).

Ciao, Gianni.

Guest Ingvarr
A thin wizard, just what i need. :rolleyes:

If the price is right, i'll replace my current wizard with this herald

It does not look much thinner, at least visually. Of course I dont doubt that its really 18mm thin.

And if I am remember correctly, that thinness they planned to get from cutting the battery to around 700-800 MAh. No way I would give up Wizard for that, especially considering that its 100% Wizard in all other hardware.

HTC announced from the start that Herald would be Wizard(not Hermes!) with cut-down battery, and therefore, thinner and lighter.

Edited by Ingvarr

And if I am remember correctly, that thinness they planned to get from cutting the battery to around 700-800 MAh.

It will be about 1.100 mAh.

Ciao, Gianni.

It will be about 1.100 mAh.

Ciao, Gianni.

Which is not enough for a 400Mhz Samsung - look at all the complaints over Hermes battery life!

HTC have already polarised their products into two distinct streams - expensive high end 400MHz+ power toys with fast CPUs and connectivity (Universal, Atom, Hermes, and Trinity), and low end "consumer" OMAP devices where functionality and good battery life are more important (Wizard, Prophet and Artemis). The "Herald" falls strictly into the latter group.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Ingvarr

They only use Samsung with devices that needs 3G.

Because 3G made only by separate UMTS chipset, so they need processor-only chip.

OMAP on the other hand is not processor-only - its chip that have also GSM/EDGE support inside, so its unfeasible to use OMAP and then add even another chipset for 3G support.

So they use OMAP when they need power economy (and lower batteries/size) and when they dont need 3G.

Guest sporkguy

Hmm..

The silver buttons on the bottom of the device - does this layout and appearance look like the new Honda Civic's front-end to anyone else, or am I just being a daft bugger? :rolleyes:

Which is not enough for a 400Mhz Samsung

But exists the SC 2442 300 MHz... I'm absolutely not sure that the CPU can change, but consider that Hermes (TyTN) had initially a TI OMAP too. Since some months, HTC seems to have some preference for the Samsung chipsets.

- look at all the complaints over Hermes battery life!
I use daily the TyTN and have not battery problems. For SPB Benchmark, the battery life is the best if compared to all the devices that actually exist (obviously, that's only e bench).

HTC have already polarised their products into two distinct streams - expensive high end 400MHz+ power toys with fast CPUs and connectivity (Universal, Atom, Hermes, and Trinity), and low end "consumer" OMAP devices where functionality and good battery life are more important (Wizard, Prophet and Artemis). The "Herald" falls strictly into the latter group.

That was sure till the Hermes changed the CPU. Now I think u continue to be right, but I'm not as sure as I was since last summer.

Ciao, Gianni.

Guest MPXtricky

Nah... if it's thin you want, dispense with Windows altogether and get a Samsung X820. The camera is 2.0 MP and takes fantastic pics. I'd be afraid of forgetting it was in my back pocket, then sitting down and breaking it.

samsung_sgh-x820_.jpg

Now that's pretty slick... question is would I give up the CPU speed and 3G of my Hermes for the reduction in size?

Probably!

:rolleyes:

P

If the Samsung X820 would be windows mobile I'd buy it right away. don't need extra's like wifi, edge, mini/micro-sd or anything special.... just this phone with windows mobile/smartphone then I'd be happy!!!

I've recently started working in a mobile-shop and this x820 is catching my fancy! only thing that bothers me is compatibility. I WANT SMARTPHONE!!!!! (but in small package)

Pigo

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Very tempted to get a X830 for going out with (who wants push email when sitting in a pub on a Saturday afternoon? :rolleyes:). I REALLY love the thinness...

Do you guys know if you can synchronize the Samsung X820 with your current contacts / calendar / tasks through Outlook?

By the way, Paul, how are you finding the i320? Especially in terms of battery life, can you get through the day?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The Samsung data suite should be able to do that Loukas, i suggest you check out www.mobiholics.com for more info :rolleyes:. Anyway back on topic...if this device is priced competitively it could be a nice light-weight device for people who want push email and the odd bit of decent mobile browsing...i just hope it has wifi too!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.