Text/Character Input: Foreign Characters (TyTN/M3100/WM5)

Guest Incarniac

Guest Incarniac

Hi, just got an SPV M3100 which is an excellent piece of kit, however I have a question about text input.

I normally use the transcriber and generally it works well, but I seem to be unable to input foreign characters using it. I am Norwegian, but live in the UK, so I send quite a few messages back home. The characters are there in the symbol table, so I can get to them, but that's inconvenient.

Basically what happens is this:

Transcriber

Attempting to type:

Edited by Incarniac

Guest Confucious

I always use the keyboard on my Universal. With the built in keyboard if you press a then the symbol key it scrolls throught the options - if you use one a lot you could edit the sumbol file so it's the first one it scrolls too.

Don't know if that's any use to you but I don't know of any easier way.

Welcome to the forum.

Guest Incarniac
Welcome to the forum.

That's a pity, really. There are two things I miss from the P900, the first is the five-way jog wheel for one hand navigation (but the P990, the alternative uprade route, also ditches that; and the TyTN has alternative methods, mostly it's currently a matter of habit), and the second is the simple way of inputting special characters using the transcriber or the letter recognizer. Other than that this is a perfect device :(

How do I edit the symbol file?

Cheers,

Inca.

Guest Confucious

I don't use transcriber - so maybe there is a way that I don't know of, if there is I'm sure someone else will let you know!

To edit the symbols just use file manager and find 'sym' in the windows directory, double click it and it will open with word and you can edit it. It is just a text file with each key having the symbols on a separate row in the order the scroll through.

Good luck. :rolleyes: