Question - moving from Orange to T-mobile for a Vario II

Guest bacus

I've just called Orange to request a PAC, waded through the menu's to the "Thinking of leaving" section only to be greeted by "Our offices are now closed. Please call back between 8:30am and 9:45pm... etc". I'm a bit annoyed as I wanted to get it sorted this evening.

Anyway, my question is - if I order my Vario II now without first getting my PAC, how long after it arrives and I start using it, can I get and then give them my PAC to transfer my number?

I presume there is a time limit, but since I've been with Orange since they began, I've never done the whole 'PAC' thing before, and so am after some advice.

Incidentally, the reason I'm leaving is because I'm a very 'light' contract phone user, hardly ever text, but do want to use loads of data. Orange, for some strange reason, seem to think that only people who use their phone a lot for voice and text, will want to use a lot of data. Strange logic !!! T-Mobiles Flext + Web'n'walk suits me much better.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Anyway, my question is - if I order my Vario II now without first getting my PAC, how long after it arrives and I start using it, can I get and then give them my PAC to transfer my number?

I did exactly this with my two handsets a couple of months ago. You could buy the handset this morning and then phone Orange to get the PAC code. They take up to a week to send you the PAC through the post at which point you give this to TMob and it then takes up to another week to be transferred.

I did exactly this with my two handsets a couple of months ago. You could buy the handset this morning and then phone Orange to get the PAC code. They take up to a week to send you the PAC through the post at which point you give this to TMob and it then takes up to another week to be transferred.

Thanks. That's good to know. Now I can get on and do it.

I'd still like to know, for curiosity sake, if anyone can tell me just how long you do get to transfer the number.

Guest daedalia
Thanks. That's good to know. Now I can get on and do it.

I'd still like to know, for curiosity sake, if anyone can tell me just how long you do get to transfer the number.

30 days

BTW, Orange charge you for leaving! I don't know the exact cost but as well as paying off the remaining month of that contract they also levy a fee. If you happen to transfer your number before day 30 of the PAC validity then they charge you on a per day basis. Bloody annoying and I would love to know the justifcation for it! In fact, I think I will ask Orange Issues.

Guest The Little Master

In general you can request your PAC and supply it to T-Mobile whenever, regardless of how far you're into the contract with T-Mob.

Once you've requested the PAC, it's valid for 30 days after which point you'd have to request another one if you hadn't used it.

Orange, more likes rotten Orange.

Asked for a PAC code on Sept. 20th, still not received it in the post (even though they say they posted it).

Fortunately, I managed to have one (perhaps the only one) helpful person from Orange CS who gave me the PAC code over the phone.

Both my wife and I left Orange after about 8 years (no genuine attempt for them to retain us!), went to T-mobile Flext 35 WnW.

Hopefully should port the numbers this week (PAC code runs out by the end of this week!)

Guest jchamier
BTW, Orange charge you for leaving! I don't know the exact cost but as well as paying off the remaining month of that contract they also levy a fee. If you happen to transfer your number before day 30 of the PAC validity then they charge you on a per day basis. Bloody annoying and I would love to know the justifcation for it! In fact, I think I will ask Orange Issues.

They didn't tell me that Sat afternoon! I phoned OCS about 4pm, ordered my PAC, and after the ID check etc, was told it was in the post. I even asked if they wanted to know why I was leaving... "No" came back the answer.

12 years 10 months... with Orange, and yet I'm in the same situation as the OP, light user, who wants to use cost effective data.

Got my Vario Sat morning, now have two phones until PAC arrives and is dealt with.

If they charge, I'll write to the CEO... and Ofcom, as I've been out of contract for about 3 years since my last upgrade. (Nokia 6310i!).

Thanks for all the replies.

I rang up Orange yesterday and requested the PAC. The lady asked why I was leaving, so I told her 'low user, but want lots of data'. She offered me the new weekends and off peak deal for

They didn't tell me that Sat afternoon!

Well, Orange Issues replied to say that they DON'T charge a leaving fee but you get charged for the 30 day cancellation period of the contract. The handset I have seen this charge on was out of contract, although I accept there is a cancellation period, but I was pretty sure that I ordered the PAC on day one of my billing cycle and that therefore my previous months bill covered one months line rental in advance. I am intrigued so I am going to pull the bill out but I imagine the chances of it showing on which date I ordered the PAC to be none, so I will not be able to tell. Be interesting to find out other peoples experience of this?