CorePlayer 1.0 is here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

After an incredibly long gestation period as BetaPlayer and then TCPMP, CorePlayer 1.0, the commercial product, has finally been release!

Widely viewed as far and away the best media player for Windows Mobile, CorePlayer 1.0 comes in at $24.99, and is available to purchase here in the MoDaCo FairDeal store.

The launch press release...

post-1-1161073983_thumb.gif

CorePlayer is a culmination of over 2 years of development effort under BetaPlayer and TCPMP. From the initial onset the major goals were to NOT deliver a bloated over featured crippled media player... but rather to deliver on a promise of simplicity, efficiency and unlimited end user power. Power is potential and the potential of what we 'will' give the end user will not be equaled by any other media player, on any platform.

Wonder why this has not been done before? This is NO small task. . . and many in the community have stated 'release it now' 'where is it', etc.. Well as simple as that may seem its not all that simple at all. Aside from legal/IP licensing ... there are costs associated with doing something as monumental as this... and while not to bore you... releasing it over the past 6 months was not an option. What is however is creating something unique in in the multimedia space... a dual licensed Open Source / Closed Source Multimedia Framework.

With 1.xx now being released to the general public and OEM licensees... the “1.0” core is much more then the sum of it components.... as we feel that it is this 1.xx foundation that is crucial to what we are building off of for the future and what a next-gen multimedia framework is.

So, what is 'Next-Gen'? Well it is not an easy answer... but let me try. Think “build it, use it, change it”.... and then start all over again. While it is 'great' to experiment and change the norm, the end result must lead us to think about what the end user would want to do but not necessarily what he should do as other media players do. Ultimately we feel what matters is to simply empower the user to let them do what they want or as we say, 'Take back your Media!'.

A perfect example of CorePlayer empowerment is our 'Universal Skins' and while some people may find our 'google' approach to our interface too simplistic..... Well, good news! Universal Skins gives you the power to make the entire UI look the way you want it to... from the menu items to embedding the menu items in the skins... On top of that.... Universal Skins also allows you to create one skin for multiple platforms with one skin file!

I often think about Seth Godin when I say, “Listen, Think, Change”, those three actions that when stated together give meaning to Chaos. It is that mantra that plays a factor of what we do here at CoreCodec on a daily basis... and we hope that when the 1.xx CorePlayer / BetaPlayer line is done that you will be happy with the results.

Will you be supporting the step from free software to commercial product? Let us know, and let us know how you find the CorePlayer experience! I've always found CorePlayer to be the best at supporting whatever video / audio file I throw at it, so I will be buying :rolleyes:

P

....Will you be supporting the step from free software to commercial product? ....

Not without trying a Demo first (and there doesn't seem to be one available), nope!

I would want to see

1. GPL situation explained (ie how they managed to get agreement from all GPL authors to close source it - doesnt it include ffmpeg and xvid? or have they re-implemented it from scratch?)

2. Support for hardware decoding on my Hermes (eg new ATI chip)

3. Seperate (auto) bookmarks on a per-file basis - atm it just remembers where you are on the last file, and if you play another file inbetween it will lose the bookmark

Apart from that, the current product does what I want (for free, and with the freedom of having the source available).

I suggest someone does a fork of the last free version, and carries on the free development.

I will NOT be buying.

If they want to make money, they should leave it open source, and suggest a donation for their work.

george

Guest MARKUKCOUK
I would want to see

1. GPL situation explained (ie how they managed to get agreement from all GPL authors to close source it - doesnt it include ffmpeg and xvid? or have they re-implemented it from scratch?)

2. Support for hardware decoding on my Hermes (eg new ATI chip)

3. Seperate (auto) bookmarks on a per-file basis - atm it just remembers where you are on the last file, and if you play another file inbetween it will lose the bookmark

Apart from that, the current product does what I want (for free, and with the freedom of having the source available).

I suggest someone does a fork of the last free version, and carries on the free development.

I will NOT be buying.

If they want to make money, they should leave it open source, and suggest a donation for their work.

george

Dont worry about it, its a cycle.... good free software --> developer becomes greedy and makes you pay --> someone makes a free version --> good free software... and it carries on.

No, ill not be buying!

I agree on the trial version thing!

and find it a bit expencive.

I've allways been a HUGE supporter for betaplayer/TCPMP and still use it. If 1.0 is to my liking and price is right... then I'll definatly buy (ow and if hermes compatibilitie is solved... because I want one)

Pigo

I thought $24.99 was a bit steep! We shall see. If they add Imageon support to TCPMP then no way, but I would make a guess that they are unlikely to do so now. I didn't really see anything in coreplayer that TCPMP wouldn't do?

Here's a video that shows pretty much everything that coreplayer has to offer.

As you can see, WMV playback isnt quite optimal. (file was encoded on pocket pc settings with 320x240 218bitrate) But xvid is the codec where it performs the best.

Guest paholman
Here's a video that shows pretty much everything that coreplayer has to offer.

As you can see, WMV playback isnt quite optimal. (file was encoded on pocket pc settings with 320x240 218bitrate) But xvid is the codec where it performs the best.

Looks like it's running on Crossbow in that video clip. The look and feel looks the same as Vista/Crossbow.

If there was a demo version, I'd try it, but there isn't, so I'll stick with TCPMP for now

Looks like it's running on Crossbow in that video clip. The look and feel looks the same as Vista/Crossbow.

If there was a demo version, I'd try it, but there isn't, so I'll stick with TCPMP for now

The menu-theme (black taskbar & menu-buttons) is from wizbar advance2, dont confuse it with coreplayers skin or with some future os. :rolleyes:

Edited by Demens

Guest randomelements

Any idea when the new BetaPlayer line will be appearing?

I'd want to see a trial or use BetaPlayer to get an idea of how it will perform.

Guest Confused Stu

Pre-release, the Coreplayer/TCPMP/Betaplayer forum had the owners quoted as saying the free version wouldn't be released for at least 6 weeks after the pay-one.

Start the countdown now for the free download to see if it works properly on my Vario2! If it does, I might think about stumping up the cash to support it. After all, I've been using it since my original SPV days and never paid them a penny, so I probably do owe them.

For those people suggesting they leave it as freeware and simply ask for donations - that's what they have always done and I think if they sell more than 10 copies of Coreplayer they'll have made more than they do from donations in a year. If it was your hard work in project, what would you do?

:rolleyes:

Guest Fredde87

No I will not buy it... Never understood why people would pay so much for software! Its a robbery really. If it was $4.99 and it supported the ATI chipset then I could consider it, but for $25 hell would have to freeze before I bought it... Ashame to se such a great team of developers sell out... Its like MARKUKCOUK said, they will crash to the bottom in a couple of months when a better free application comes along.

Edited by Fredde87

Guest Sonicr360

I for one will NOT BE BUYING!!!! I think I argued a case before and I will say it again - WHY should we pay for this ??

Without the support that customers want, would you really want to waste your money on this !?!?!?!? come on!!!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO !!! Is there a Trial? NO NO NO!!!

Sorry - why should we buy? Any good reasons or justifcation and I will gladly listen!

It currently doesn't support as many codecs as TCPMP. Many (all?) have been written from scratch and aren't yet complete, as I understand it.

The future of CorePlayer sounds interesting. On the forums, the development team are still pretty much implying this is a beta and talking about how great it will be at version 1.5

Think I'll wait until then :rolleyes:

Guest chucky.egg

I doubt I'd buy it.

I liked TCPMP, but for me it's a "nice to have" and not an "essential" so it's not worth anything like the asking price to me.

Having said that I don't understand why everyone has turned nasty on the developers. They invested their time (and a lot of it I suspect) so why shouldn't they try and make money?

If you don't want to buy it then don't, but they hardly deserve people wishing their business would crash!

Guest Sonicr360

I got TCPMP and its a good product. My view is I would not be paying the cost price they are asking, when you have products like WMP and TCPMP that do a good enough job!

Is it really a required application for a WM Device? Probably not!

Agree Chucky, if you dont want to buy it, steer clear :rolleyes:

If they really are re-implementing all the codecs, then they have every right to sell it - its essentially a new product.

Sadly for them, its main competition is the older GPL version, which is damn good (i use it every day).

So, given they are re-implementing the codecs, I take back what I said.

If they release a version with bookmarks per show / track, which plays divX as well as the current one, I WILL be buying it

(fickle) g

After an incredibly long gestation period as BetaPlayer and then TCPMP, CorePlayer 1.0, the commercial product, has finally been release!.....

Will you be supporting the step from free software to commercial product? Let us know, and let us know how you find the CorePlayer experience! I've always found CorePlayer to be the best at supporting whatever video / audio file I throw at it, so I will be buying :rolleyes:

P

So... Did you buy it? And if so, what's your opinion of it? Much improvement over the free version? Is it worth the money?

Guest Sonicr360
I have this and it seems to play videos better on my HTC wizard....Maybe they got some optimizations for the 200mhz cpus?...

I think the question being asked here is "Is it worth the cost" ? As Spo0k said... is it WORTH the money, which in my opinion is not!

Maybe you can do a review....

I think the question being asked here is "Is it worth the cost" ? As Spo0k said... is it WORTH the money, which in my opinion is not!

Maybe you can do a review....

I suppose we'll get the same things in the next release of TMCP....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.