SPB Insight RSS reader released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-1-1161094792_thumb.gif

SPB have today released the first full release of their RSS reader, 'SPB Insight'.

Full details of the application can be found here, i've included an excerpt from the SPB website below. You'll also find the full press release after-the-jump :rolleyes:

I have been involved with the beta of the application and it is of course up to the usual high SPB standards, but competition in this market is fierce. My king of readers is pRSSreader for standalone use (it's FREE too!), or the new-but-huge-potential Newsgator Go!

P

Spb Insight is a news reading Pocket PC program that gives a rich offline experience along with an easy interface and full RSS/Atom support. With Spb Insight you'll always have all the latest information, right in your pocket, with images and whole articles, yet fully optimized for small screen viewing.

Features

* Full website news
* Full RSS/Atom support (0.9x, 1.0, 2.0)
* Offline reading with pictures
* Easy to use interface
* One hand operation
* Article thumbnails
* No desktop component needed

1_02.gifani7.gif

Spb Software House Releases Spb Insight - a Full-Text Pocket PC News Reader

October 17, 2006 - Spb Software House, the leading Pocket PC software developer, releases Spb Insight - a new Pocket PC News Reader which provides full-text articles with pictures for handy and fast offline reading.

Throughout the day we all have those many periods of time that are too short to be useful but too long to be wasted. Examples could be standing in line or waiting at the airport. A Pocket PC can be used to fill these intervals of time with reading books, or playing small games, etc. How about the news? Typical news web pages aren't designed for small Pocket PC screens and can take minutes to download. RSS readers help in this situation, but usually provide only summaries and links to original articles, which bring us back to online browsing.

Spb Insight was designed to overcome these shortcomings. Besides being a powerful Pocket PC RSS reader, Spb Insight provides full article texts instead of typical RSS article summaries. Original article web pages are specifically optimized for Pocket PC screens using unique Spb Insight channel technology.

-------------------------------------------

At this moment there are over 1000 popular news channels that are optimized for small screens and the number is growing rapidly, thanks to the open support community. All optimized channels are created by individuals and are not part of the program. These channels, as well as most popular RSS channels, are freely available through the Spb Insight Online Catalog. Available right on your device, with subcategories and sorted by popularity, the Online Catalog makes it easy to choose new interesting channels whenever you want. Spb Software House provides no preinstalled channels in this version.

Along with optimized channels, Spb Insight supports all versions of RSS and Atom news feeds, as well as importing feeds from local and online OPML files. Spb Insight provides channel and article thumbnails, as well as intuitive one hand navigation to make the user interface as easy to use as possible.

Spb Insight can work without a desktop computer, too - just use your wireless internet connection to add and update channels. To save traffic and time, you have control over what particular channels to update, in what order and whether to download pictures and full-text web pages or not. To save even more time, downloaded articles can be read right away, even while other articles and channels are being updated.

A short summary of Spb Insight features:

* Full-text website news using "optimized" channels
* Full RSS/Atom support (RSS 0.9x, 1.0, 2.0; Atom 0.3, 1.0)
* Offline reading with pictures
* Easy to use interface
* Simultaneous updating and reading
* One hand navigation
* Article thumbnails
* No desktop component needed

Guest pookiecheeks

hello all,

..er, i'm not sure why i would need this. then again, i'm not sure why anyone would ? maybe i'm missing the point here or something, but i'm confused about this type of application. surely if i use my pocket pc to log onto www.bbc.co.uk/news i'd get the news there and then yes ? sorry if i'm sounding retarded etc, but can anyone help me out here please ?

pooks

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Thats like asking whats the point in RSS? :rolleyes:

Personally i dont use RSS on something like BBC news, as i visit the site every day anyway. It is useful for sites where content isn't added as regularly though. It's also useful if you just want to scan over headlines.

I'm sure everyone is slightly different, thats how i use RSS though :(

Guest pookiecheeks
Thats like asking whats the point in RSS? :(

hello all,

..er, ok... what's the point of rss then mister ? :rolleyes:

pooks

Edited by pookiecheeks

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

OK, assuming your post is sarcasm-free. RSS is a means to aggregate posts from blog-type websites. Everything from actual blogs to news websites. Using a reader, like the one above, or a PC based one (like the excellent Newsgator FeedDemon!), you can view headlines and articles from a multitude of websites quickly and efficiently... SPB Insight RSS allows for you to do this on your PPC :rolleyes:

I'm a web developer. That means I need to know pretty much everything there is to know about html, css, javascript, web standards, accessibility, usability, interface design, web 2.0, php, mysql, asp, c#, vb, xsl, xml, design, photoshop, xp, internet explorer, firefox, opera, the list goes on...

Of course, I don't, as that's too much for one man, but you get the idea. If there are three or four (try fourty or fifty in reality) websites that I [would ideally] like to follow on each of these subjects, that's a whole lot of websites to visit. How often I would actually get round to checking these remains to be seen.

However, if each of these websites has an RSS feed (also called XML/atom/blog feed), then I can "aggregate" these - using an aggregator (natch) - and peruse just the titles or summaries of this [potentially] enormous number of posts, which reduces the amount of time it takes me to do this chore by a factor of about 1000, probably. It also means I don't miss new things when they're still NEW, which is often critical in fast changing markets.

Happy now? :rolleyes:

Guest pookiecheeks
Happy now? :(

hello all,

..yes, i'm ecstatic ! :rolleyes: ..wouldn't using a rss type program be costly ? i think i'm starting to understand the need of it. maybe i should download the trial and go from there ? anyway, thanks you two(niklp and monolithix).

pooks

ps. i'm never sarcastic...

Costly? pRSS is free - you wouldn't want to be downloading all your feeds over GPRS though! Not unless you've got a rather tasty bandwidth package (*ahem!* :rolleyes:)

You can sync it using the passthrough connection on your desktop and then read them on the go, if you want. :(

Guest pookiecheeks
Costly? pRSS is free - you wouldn't want to be downloading all your feeds over GPRS though! Not unless you've got a rather tasty bandwidth package (*ahem!* :rolleyes:)

You can sync it using the passthrough connection on your desktop and then read them on the go, if you want. :(

hello all,

..that's what i was meaning, if the program keeps downloading the latest headlines, surely the costs would mount up ? so i'm correct in saying you said i could download all the news at home via broadband, then read it on my pocketpc on the bus to work ?

sorry for being slow, but i usually get there... eventually...

pooks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.